EAN Certification: PADI, SSI or SDI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Based on what, exactly? The bold above is what was done in the class I took.

With due respect, you're making no sense here. You cite the above to support your contention, and it confirms what I posted earlier.

Your class did not violate any standards. Planning two dives is fine.

SEI or IANTD. Tables, actual calculations, and more indepth theory. Not just put this into your computer and dive or since you are using 32 or 66 here are the numbers. I like being more precise since I often get mixes other than that with PP Blending. My Nitrox is with PADI by the way. When they actually used to teach it properly. And that was only 6 years ago.

Jim, I read your posts in multiple forums and I agree with you on nearly everything. Is it fair to portray the PADI enriched air course in that light? I have nitrox training from both TDI and PADI but thoroughly despised the TDI Nitrox Course. It was not because of the material, but how it was taught. The way it 'used to be taught' is no different than how I, or many of the instructors I know, continue to teach it.

There is a thread about the PADI Course in the instructors section and I would enjoy hearing your input.

I rarely post - but here it goes...In all reality - the instructor and to a great extent, the student define the depth and quality of the course. Training agencies provide the materials, the outline and standards (oh so needed for the legal world of the USA unfortunatley). The instructor fills in the gaps, mentors the student and expands their knowledge.

As an instructor, I'll admit the students that are most into my classes get the most out of it. They also get the most from me. I teach PADI, SDI & IANTD. My current curriculm/training material preference is PADI Online. Why? Because it is a structured progression of the basic information, then I get to focus on the tables, math, computer options, analyzers, etc...the value add. And oh yes, I am happy to take you diving & likely work on some buoyancy, but sometimes, the student lives in Northern climates and only dives on vacation, 80/80 diver. My rationale of why that is ok - at least I was able to reinforce the dive physics, safe practices and good diver etiquete under the Nitrox "quickie" class. Every chance an instructor gets to "touch" a student should be a chance to improve their knowledge and diving. That makes it a safer, better place for us all.

So training agency - it's as I say - some like coke, some like pepsi and others still drink RC. I don't care, it's all cola.

In all reality - the instructor and to a great extent, the student define the depth and quality of the course. Training agencies provide the materials, the outline and standards (oh so needed for the legal world of the USA unfortunatley). The instructor fills in the gaps, mentors the student and expands their knowledge.

Nicely put. In the class I just completed, I got lucky. Three attendees were scheduled, but I was the only one who showed up. What transpired is that the instructor, who had decades of real-world diving experience, had time to not only cover the course material, but also discuss many experiences he'd had with Nitrox diving, which greatly added to my "take away" from the course.

So training agency - it's as I say - some like coke, some like pepsi and others still drink RC. I don't care, it's all cola.

When I was first certified in 1971, SCUBA divers were always "peeing on each other's ankles" over which agency had the best curriculum. It hasn't changed.

When I was first certified in 1971, SCUBA divers were always "peeing on each other's ankles" over which agency had the best curriculum. It hasn't changed.

[HIJACK]
I've never had anyone pee on my ankle but I did have a novice diver come back on board the boat with pee leaking out of his wetsuit and all over the deck.

I actually really do enjoy a trip back to the docks with a good back and forth banter amongst the divers regarding friendly accronyms for the different agencies.

Pepsi no Coke.
[/HIJACK]

I recently did the SDI Nitrox course (AU$200 when done with a PADI advanced, so AU$550 all up). The course consisted of self study, self tests and an in shop exam. Also, a tour of the filling station and how to test post fill.

I was NOT impressed with the 'course'. I learnt more from the Net in an hour of googling. The best text I found was the GUE Fundamentals - Nitrox Appendix documentation. It is only 7 pages long, but it has everything you need to know.

Back
Top Bottom