Eardrum pain from water slap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not only ear/sinus damage but a lung over-expansion injury as well. An embolism is possible in as little as 4 feet of water.

I have been swimming since I was 5 (will be 56 tomorrow). A few years ago my GF got me a gift certificate good for an hour with a swim coach at the local wellness center. One of the best gifts I ever received!

You tube videos DO NOT give you feedback on your technique. They DO NOT watch for those little glitches in your stroke, kick, or posture that can mean the difference between fighting through 400 yds and just gliding through it.

As a SCUBA instructor one has to realize that if you really need to swim somewhere it's to possibly assist another person. If that's not underwater with gear it's on the surface with perhaps only a mask, snorkel, and fins. If you're lucky enough to have time to get them on. If not then it means you are swimming just as anyone else would. With one very critical difference.

YOU CANNOT TAKE YOUR EYES OFF OF THE PERSON.

This means you swim like a lifeguard with your head out of the water not dipping your face in on alternate strokes. That time you dip your face may be the time your vic disappears under the water. You need to keep eyes on them and able to verbally communicate. The swim coach I worked with understood that important difference and while she did help me with the normal swim stroke she also helped with that head up technique.

He reminds me of some people (men :wink:) I know. They can do things the right way or their way, which takes twice as long and is three times harder.

IANADoctor but I think three times harder is off by at least an order of magnitude here. I would expect to make your eardrums hurt you gotta slap the water at least thirty times harder.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom