Ears...after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Using wimmers ear drops a few days prior to diving won't help, and as suggested - may hurt. Why has no one suggested pseudoephedrine...??

If you mean swimmers ear drops as in 200-proof alcohol, my ears hurt if I put that stuff in. If you have irritation in there they make it worse, if you don't: you will after using them.

There's one that's basically liquid neosporin, that's prescription only in the US and is useful once you have bacteria breeding in your ear -- that's what swimmers ear actually is. There's also variations of xxx-caine (anaesthetic) + hydrocortizon (anti-itch/anti-inflammatory) + a topical antobiotic like neosporin. No idea where/how you can get this in US -- I got a verson called "otizol" OTC elsewhere. My guess is these would be good for what you have but IANADoctor.

I'd go have a qualified professional look in your ears and give you a writ for otizol-like drops.
190 proof/95% alcohol will indeed irritate ears, from my experiences. You can find DAN articles suggesting benefits of alcohol only, vinegar only, or a mix - and I prefer the latter. Opinion vary on strength of alcohol, but I use equal parts 50% alcohol with white vinegar, plus a squirt of glycerin to ensure against irritation.

If I don't use "Ear Beer" the 50/50 alcohol and vinegar solution after every dive I get an ear infection.

I also have some of the anti-biotic ear drops described above that I got when I got an ear infection the day before a dive trip. One thing I can say about them is that they were terribly expensive here in the US. I have pretty good insurance and I got 7.5 ml for $40.

Prevention is definitely key. The ear beer can sting when you use it, but the discomfort is much less than having an ear infection, and it really does work.

As for ear clearing, have you tried Doc's ear plugs? They don't claim, and no one who sells them will promise you this, but I know a lot of people who use them to make clearing their ears easier.
I agree on frequent use of the mix, after every dive and every shower of a dive trip, and I always keep Neomycin, Polymyxin B, And Hydrocortisone ear drops in my med bag for any overnight trip. Ear infections can happen without diving, and can leave me on the verge of tears - ready to pay whatever! Talk with your pharmacist about generics and see if they have any cheaper. I have a couple of bottles from Mexico that are out of date. I wish I'd replaced them when I was there in May. :sad:

If you have any challenges equalizing, pseudoephedrine may well help. Not Sudafed sold OTC, but the real, original med from behind the counter - prescription required in some states - but not in Texas. Walgreens carries their own brand of the old Actifed pill that contains pseudoephedrine with a mild antihistamine, and it's reasonably priced. Ask for Wal-act. It's a daily med for me and my allergies, but my dive bud only used it for diving - which he cannot do without it.

There are possible side effects from pseudoephedrine tho, so talk with your druggist, and try it on an off day at home in case it bothers you.

Vent ear plugs have a reputation for helping. I really don't know if they help? :idk:

The thing to be careful when taking meds to make equalizing easier is if they wear off during the dive that would be bad. Also pseudoephedrine can increase your susceptibility to oxtox hits so be aware. see Pseudoephedrine & Enriched-Air Diving?

I usually take the 24hour version of Claritin-D when traveling which has a 24 hour pseudoephedrine dose due to my allergies I take it at breakfast so that if it begins to wear off it will do so early in the morning while I am sleeping. But Im not a doctor I only slept in a Holiday Inn.

I am a little apprehensive talking about my solution to ear problems, but I have been doing this since the mid-sixties - 1. I no longer have ear problems and 2. I can still hear.

Because I always seem to have an excess of ear wax, I clean my ears thoroughly before any dive trip. I use a little bulb/nozzle device that the hospital gave us to clear snot from our babies' noses. I fill it with the very warm water in the sink and then place it at the entrance to each ear and squeeze, squirting the very warm water into each ear. You should see the ear wax goop that is washed out into the sink. Eeech! After that, I will liberally drip supermarket variety isopropyl alcohol into each ear. The alcohol has the added advantage of being helpful to prevent crotch rot if rubbed on other bodily areas while you are at it. I repeat this process every day after I come in to shower after diving.

Apologies for the crude descriptions.

Cheers,
Charles

First, you need to understand the difference between outer ear problems and middle ear problems. Outer ear problems are caused by immersing the outer ear canal in water, which softens the skin and allows bacteria to invade. They occur after diving, but usually not for a day or so, and are marked by severe pain which is worsened by pulling on the ear. They are prevented, to some degree, by the use of some type of drying and antiseptic agent AFTER diving. Using those agents before diving does nothing, as they are washed out of the ear during the dive.

Middle ear problems occur as a result of inadequate equalization of pressures during a dive. They typically present as fullness and diminished hearing, crackling sounds, or sometimes ear pain which is not affected by pulling on the outer ear. They are prevented by adequate equalization, and there is no effective treatment for them other than time, although various things are suggested, including decongestants and chewing gum.

The situation you describe, with multiple descents and ascents in relatively shallow water, is a setup for barotrauma in anyone who has difficulty equalizing. I usually have none, but I have had to get out of the water during pool sessions or AOW classes, because I could no longer descend. Barotrauma occurs ANY time the pressures are unequal, and almost no one equalizes constantly, so there is some degree of barotrauma every time you dive. This is cumulative with multiple descents. Use of an NSAID after diving to minimize tissue swelling may be useful, but I am not aware of any study that proves it.

Back
Top Bottom