East End of Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you misinterpreted my post. I said I will post pics and a map to give a better idea for those who are unfimiliar with Elene. As for my knowledge of the the East, most of my family still lives in Elene and thats where I stay when I go.

Attachments

• elene.jpg
    elene.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 71
  • P8210055.jpg
    P8210055.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 63
Like I said this is a work in progress. The place is open now but I want to really put more effort into it so that is one of the reasons I'm going on the 21st. This is a work in progress and I have to split my time between this idea and my job here in the US. If it does turn out to be worth wild catering more exclusively to divers then that's not 100% out of the question. I just can't afford to market it as that right now because I'm sure I would need more than just rooms and a boat for that.

Thanks for the input.

I think you misinterpreted my post. I said I will post pics and a map to give a better idea for those who are unfimiliar with Elene. As for my knowledge of the the East, most of my family still lives in Elene and thats where I stay when I go.
You are absolutely correct, I did misunderstand. Pray forgive!

Beautiful!! Again, I would LOVE to dive the far east end. Since you are part of the families there, I am much more interested!! If you wish, PM me. I'll help however I can.

A very attractive area and idea.

But in the state of the economy, it would a hell of a time to start.

The building has been built already. It's been there for about 10 years now. We just decided to renovate it and it was this process that this idea started to swirl around.

I have a stable career as an Air Traffic Controller in Miami. I want to set something up that's different and that my dad can go back to to retire and enjoy here in a few years.

We dove Reef House also and on trips out wondered how the diving would be even further east. Should be pretty unspoiled....I wonder if the Utila liveaboards ever went to that area?

Would be great to have a resort there....away from the more crowded west end. Keep us all posted.

Like I said this is a work in progress. The place is open now but I want to really put more effort into it so that is one of the reasons I'm going on the 21st. This is a work in progress and I have to split my time between this idea and my job here in the US. If it does turn out to be worth wild catering more exclusively to divers then that's not 100% out of the question. I just can't afford to market it as that right now because I'm sure I would need more than just rooms and a boat for that.

Thanks for the input.
As divers, the ONE thing we HAVE to have is pure, clean air. Even us adventurous souls who would love to dive such a remote location can't do it without that. And filing tanks from any compressor like they were truck tires, though possible, won't do the job.

If I were going to dive a remote location here close to my home (and there are plenty of those around here), I would make sure all the inspections on ALL MY gear (and only my gear) was up to date, that I had plenty of spare tanks and that all the air was fresh and clean.

This doesn't mean that you have to own tanks or have the ability to FILL tanks to offer day or overnight trips. Better that you don't. You just need to have the connections to USE tanks that are owned, maintained and filled by a certified dive shop we trust. We are all trained to read the markings on all dive tanks. If I were you, I wouldn't take anyone out on a dive if they didn't remember how. I guess that means you will have to partner or contract with one of the existing dive ops on the island, but it wouldn't need to be your closest neighbor.

This is a very interesting prospect. I will enjoy thinking about it with you. I do know some operations similar to what you are thinking about that enjoy some measure of success. They aren't in the Bay Islands but could be. Don't expect to get rich on it, but please count me in as one of your first guests.

Utila is WEST of West End...from Elene, you get to see Guanaja:wink: I'm getting excited!!

Come on Doc, for the far east end? If he has a safe, cheap bunk for me and I can bring my gear and good tanks, I'm game; aren't you?

With what he says he has there already, it may be the perfect time to start!

I used to manage the dive operation at Paya Bay on the north east side. We often used the channel to dive on the south east side. There is several good spots and of course Morat Wall is outstanding.

It seems to me that you have several potential problems getting people that far east though it would be a lot of fun. First, people are going to lose a day just getting out to you unless they are already staying somewhere like Reef House (my favorite dive resort). Second, are you going to have a well equipped and outfitted dive boat? It sounds as if you won't have rental equipment so people will have to drag all their equipment to you and that's a lot of stuff including filled tanks.

I'm definately interested in knowing more about your plans. I personally don't like west end for more than a couple of hours and have never really stayed there though I have stayed at Anothony's and BIBR that recently folded.

I lived on Roatan at Paya Bay for several months and have vacationed on Roatan at least 8 times. I've visited many of the towns and villages around the island including relatively remote Camp Bay.

Back
Top Bottom