East End of Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East End RTB, have you considered getting certified? If you learn to dive yourself it might help you gain more insight into what divers want and need.

East End RTB, have you considered getting certified? If you learn to dive yourself it might help you gain more insight into what divers want and need.

Actually I have been considering as of recently. I'm currently in Tampa so I haven't had time to get back to the responses but when I get back to Ft Lauderdale I'll try to post some pics of what I have going on. I'm flying on an aerial refueling mission today.

Some general thoughts on the matter - if it was me and I had enough money to throw at it

#1) I would focus on green eco friendly resort. The green crowd has love for far off and remote places that are unspoiled, that they can spoil as long as they can say they are doing it in a green way.

#2) I would try to get something started up with the closest dive shop, try to get an arragement with them where they become your house dive op by coming out and picking up your divers at your dock for a 2 tank dive (means 2 dives with a surface interval inbetween to off gas nitrogen out of your body)

#3) Explore the reefs out there and become the #1 expert on them. Get to name them, explore them and offer some really unique dives. You might discover a few sites that become the best dives on Roatan.

If that happens then you can gear your resort towards a true dive resort and less as just a remote get away spot.

During the whole thing, hopefully you have a blast of a time, cause it will take 5-20 years to make any money, so it's a do it for the love of it or just keep your money in the stock market.

Some general thoughts on the matter - if it was me and I had enough money to throw at it

#1) I would focus on green eco friendly resort. The green crowd has love for far off and remote places that are unspoiled, that they can spoil as long as they can say they are doing it in a green way.

#2) I would try to get something started up with the closest dive shop, try to get an arragement with them where they become your house dive op by coming out and picking up your divers at your dock for a 2 tank dive (means 2 dives with a surface interval inbetween to off gas nitrogen out of your body)

#3) Explore the reefs out there and become the #1 expert on them. Get to name them, explore them and offer some really unique dives. You might discover a few sites that become the best dives on Roatan.

If that happens then you can gear your resort towards a true dive resort and less as just a remote get away spot.

During the whole thing, hopefully you have a blast of a time, cause it will take 5-20 years to make any money, so it's a do it for the love of it or just keep your money in the stock market.

I like your insight and I really appreciate it.

It's been a busy last week for me but I am here with a few pics to show you what I have so far.
11323214-a4f.JPG

11323558-a93.JPG

The idea of cantracting with another well established dive shop in Roatan sounds very feasible. That way the dive portion of it is taken care of initially. Some of my family that lives out there knows these reefs pretty well since the lived in Elene their whole lives.

The "green" tourism can also apply here but as of right now I don't think targeting that corner of the tourism market would be a move in the right direction because diving is already well established in the Bay Islands (just look at this board).

Well I will have more to post tomorrow but as of right now I am very tired. Keep the comments coming folks.

Happy Mother's Day to the mothers out there on ScubaBoard.

Do some research on how Tulum (specifically the eco resorts all just south of it) in Mexico has evolved over the last 10 years. Very interesting and might apply to you in some way.

beautiful!

Thanks!

I'm planning on contacting a few dive ops down there to see if there is a way to approach having them use or contract my place for dives out east. If I am lucky I can arrange some type of meeting when I get down there next week. I would love for people to get exposed to the Elene as much some of the other locations thoughout Roatan.

Hello. We own a house in the eastern Roatan north shore community of Punta Blanca. There are several dive oriented resorts and operators "out east north shore" that make regular day trips through the Cut to Pigeon Cay and Morat Wall. One Fish Two Fish Charters, Happy People Charters, Marble Hill Farms, Paya Bay, Camp Bay Beach Adventure Lodge. There is good cooperation between operators and you might want to propose offering opportunity for land stops for alternative to a boat picnic lunch or in the event that clients have seasickness or other indisposition requiring getting off the boat.

Hello,
I had a great adventure on the outer reaches of Roatan and Elene. I arranged some sort of adventure package from a gentleman who owned/owns Barbareta. A somewhat mysterious American they called Pepper. It was always rumoured about where he got his money. As was prearranged, we were met in Oak Ridge by a guy named Orville who said he was the son of the mayor of Elene. He had a great boat with captain and full of tanks. On the way to out to Barbareta he gave us a personal water tour of his family and friends around the island. He was to be our "tour guide" for a our three days at the Barbareta Beach Club. The place had two cabanas with a motelish kind of main house that included the restaurant. We sat down and were served a meal that would have given any four star big city place a run for it's money. There was nothing else on the island accept a large hacienda on the top on one of the hills.

Orville left for the night saying he would be back at sunrise to go diving. So there he was in the morning with his personal diving equipment (we brought our own). It consisted of a metal harness that only held the tank to his back. No weights and a single paned big round mask. And of course a lobster gigging stick. He turned out to be one of the best divers I have ever met.

Fresh lobster and fish cooked by an awesome little lady by the name Maria. On the last day we woke up to horses outside our cabana ready for our "adventure" ride. Our guide took us up through the thick jungle to the highest point of the island and showed us a pit where we dug up Payan Indian artifacts (mainly broken bowl pieces) -which we left on the island. As we rode down the other side of the island we emptied down onto Jade Beach and galloped the horse along it like we were in a weird Bo Derek movie.

To make this long story shorter we had the best 3 days of our adventure/diving careers. It was a whacked out, surrealistic adventure that I would recommend to anyone wanting to go off the grid. I'm not sure if this adventure is still available because Pepper probably needed to leave Honduras for some sundry reasons.

The "eastern end" is well worth looking at and I certainly wouldn't expect it to be anything like the rest of the Bay Islands.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom