East of Bali in November

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beckerman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Good Afternoon! I have reviewed many, many different threads and am having a hard time coming up with suggestions for my girlfriend and mine upcoming trip.
Quick background, I have about 80 dives, AOW and my girlfriend is at about 30 dives and looking to get her AOW while we are away.

We are flying into DPA in the beginning of November for two weeks. Really hoping to get off Bali immediately and spend some time on some of the islands East of there. She is not hip on doing a liveaboard given we only have two weeks and along with great diving want to explore and get into the 'culture'. I have been researching Lombok, Sulawesi, Flores and Tenggara.

Criteria: Budget is not a huge concern. Culture, relative ease of getting there (don't want to eat up too many days traveling), Good to Great Diving, Shore or short boat dives, and Topside sites are important.

Any thoughts of which islands, where to stay, who to dive with and topside must sees?

Thank you in advance!!!

Hi...great choice! Indonesia has the best diving in the world. First thing I'd say, though, is why do you want to immediately leave Bali? It has a lot of the things you say you are looking for...loads of culture, temples, volcanos, beautiful beaches, as nice of hotels as you'll find anywhere int he world...and great diving as well. Personally, I'd spent 5-6 days in Bali and consider doing your AOW there rather than eat up time at a secluded resort doing a course..and there are loads of dive operators in Denpasar. You could do day trips all over the place in addition to the diving, and you won't want to miss diving the Liberty in Tulamben..if you do your course in DPS a day trip there could even be part of your AOW. For the rest of your time diving-wise, i'd forget about Komodo, Flores, Alor, etc. in Nusa Tengara or out to West Papua. Incredible, incredible diving but either best by liveaboard, advanced diving or further off the beaten track than you say you want. Id recommend flying to Manado in Sulawesi (can fly nonstop from Bali) where you have two incredible dive options within an hour either way of Manado. One way is Lembeh, the other direction Bunaken. With 9 days or so you can easily hit both with very short travel times in between with no time taken away from diving by having to fly. Lembeh is my favorite place in the world, but I suppose it isn't for everyone. It is all "muck" diving--little if any coral reef but it is where the rarest creatures that you just won't see anywhere. It's truly a special place. Bunaken is mostly wall diving with beautiful coral and big schools of fish..pretty much the opposite of Lembeh. Quite a few resorts have locations in both places. Tangkoko National Park is a great side trip very close to Lembeh...only place in the world I've seen tarsiers (worlds smallest monkey) in the wild...plus lots of other wildlife. Anyway...those are some thoughts...but I'd definitely spend time in Bali. If you'd like any other info I've been to Indonesia many times...but no matter where you might go you'll love the diving!

You'll get plenty of ideas about dive destinations, but I think Bali is your best "bang-for-the-buck" culture hit in Indonesia. I'm not a fan of the Kuta/Denpasar craziness, but if you drive the hour and a half to Ubud and do day trips from there, it's paradise found, IMHO. Some of our best days in Indonesia have been all-day walks from Ubud. Day trips from there with car and driver can get you to some really remote temples and villages, not often visited. I'm accepting donations toward my extended stay in rural Bali. :wink:

PS - Yes, the center of Ubud is a little nuts, especially during the period when day-trippers are there. The beauty of Ubud is that within a couple hundred yards in any direction, you can be in peaceful, beautiful rice fields, and exchange greetings with locals going about their day.

Last edited:
I'd sure second (or third, I guess) the notion of checking out Bali. It's one thing to look at Google Earth and think, "Yeah, we can just go there and then there and then...". It's another thing to actually getthere. Indo domestic flights aren't known for their consistent on-time record. Flights get cancelled, changed, delayed. Using up vacation time in airports is no fun.

Staying in Tulamben would offer the chance to dive a lot, see great stuff UW and also experience some culture. Big advantage to stay there vs driving over from somewhere, wasting time on crowded, curvy mountain roads then getting there when all the other dive places do. You can get on the Liberty wreck early or dive it late or at night, when the "tourists" leave. Dive Seraya or Amed, which are nearby, if the wreck seems busy. We've stayed at Liberty Wreck Divers and Liberty Dive--both good reccomendations for accomodations and dive ops.

I would back Highdesert and suggest doing Ubud at all costs. We found it an excellent way to decompress after 2 wks of dive,dive,dive. We stayed at Alan Sari and talk about world class--for $80 bucks a night. It's in Keliki district, just outside of Ubud. Get Ketut to give you the village tour, you'll really get a glimpse of Bali's culture. Alam Sari Keliki Hotel - Official Website - Ubud Hotels Area|Bali Hotels

Ok, so maybe you want to experience more of Indonesia than just Bali. I'd still use Denpassar as a base, maybe head to Manado to do Lembeh or Bunaken or Bangka. Dive Bali before or after. We were on Bali again last April and plan to go back next April. The diving, the people, the whole island are what lure us back. (Ok, ok--so we are sneaking off to Lembeh for 3 weeks next month. Still, Bali pulls us back...) Ah heck, you'll be in Indonesia. Hard to go wrong! :eyebrow: // ww

Thank you guys so much for the helpful advice! Never have been to Indonesia, it is a little intimidating! If I may, a couple follow up questions:
1. I have researched Tulamben and Amed quite a bit, however, everyone continues to mention just the USS Liberty. Is there other great sites other than that?
2. A friend mentioned the Northwest part of Bali is quite cool (Candidsa, Pemuteran), said it was a laid back surfing/diving area, thoughts?
3. We really want to stay on the beach (day trips to Ubud and such) in Bali, suggestions?
4. The plan of heading to Sulawesi for six days and then back to Bali for the remainder sounds perfect! Any suggestions on Lembeh or Bunaken stay/dive?
5. Best site or contact to get from DPS to Mandano?
6. Really awful question... Muck Diving? Expectations? I have been to Turks & Caicos, Ambergris Caye, Key West, Channel Islands, Red Sea, Roatan, Cozumel and other Carribean destinations and have never encountered Muck Diving.
7. One thing I have learned is to not over extend yourself and try to do too much. We're thinking two or three max locations. Is it possible to something like:
11/5-11/7: Denver to Denspar
11/7: Arrive at DPS, DPS to Mandano
11/8-11/12: Lembeh or Bunkaden
- AOW Cert
11/13: Mandano to DPS
11/14- 11/19: Amed/Tulamben; Day trips to Ubud, etc...
11/20: DPS to Denver
What adjustments would you make?

Very excited to report back! Thank you again!

Questions: Why fly through Bali from the US to get to Manado? Surely there is an easier way (like Singapore, KL or HK to Manado) then to Bali.
Why give Lombok or Flores a miss? If you do go through Bali, they are easier to get to than Lembeh. There is lots of "culture" there too and great daytrip diving too for someone of your experiences.
Sanur gets you on a beach in Bali but away from Kuta.
Candidasa is in east Bali. It was a very nice little town but I haven't been there in 20 years.

4. The plan of heading to Sulawesi for six days and then back to Bali for the remainder sounds perfect! Any suggestions on Lembeh or Bunaken stay/dive?
Bangka, Bangka, Bangka... for heaven's sake!!!! Two or three steps above Bunaken for corals, on a par with Lembeh for critters (although you can also dive Lembeh on daytrips from Bangka.). Go to Murex Bangka resort, great dive guides, and if budget is not a problem, Gangga island resort is the best dive centre I have been diving with in my 15 years of diving.

Really awful question... Muck Diving? Expectations?
Hahaha... It'll tear your heart out! There are places in Bali (Seraya, secret bay, Tulamben drop off), North Sulawesi (Lembeh, Bangka), Ambon, Komodo that are better that you could even imagine in your wettest dreams. :D

Why give Lombok or Flores a miss? If you do go through Bali, they are easier to get to than Lembeh. There is lots of "culture" there too and great daytrip diving too for someone of your experiences.
Agreed, although november might not be the best season to drive across Flores. Otherwise Komodo diving is fantastic, my favorite in Indonesia with Ambon and Bangka.

There are several dive sites in the near vicinity of the Liberty wreck, as Luko noted. If you only have 4-5 days in Tulamben you won't be bored. I wouldn't do "day trips" to Ubud from Tulamben. Once you hit those mountain roads you'll know why; it's at least a 3hr drive one-way. If you include it, just go from Tulamben to Ubud and stay there a night or so when you are done diving. It's a serious art enclave/market that they run bus loads of tourists to. Book a place like Alam Sari in advance and be on the outskirts of the city, not in it. (Too many tourists looking for Julia Roberts & Ketut!)

I'd apply the "less is more" approach. Indonesia isn't made for zipping around, you'll enjoy it more if you pick one or two places and spend more time in each. Fair warning: this won't be your last trip there! // ww

Singapore Airlines connects directly with Manado via Singapore through their subsidiary - Silk Air. You can purchase the entire flight including the connection to Manado for a very reasonable price.

We will be making the trip in four weeks. We booked with Two Fish Divers, who have locations both on Bunaken Island and Lembeh Strait. From the Lembeh location we will be doing three day trips to dive Bangka, so we'll be able to sample all three areas while staying with the same operator...it's dummy proof :D

1. Yes, lots of other great sites...Seraya, one of best sites for nudibranches I've ever seen, Amed, others. Wouldn't overthink this part...anywhere will be better diving than the places you've mentioned you've been so far. Diving right out of DPS is great too...you're at the end of mola mola season but you might get lucky and you've got a great manta dive in Nusa Penida. Personally, again, I'd do you AOW in DPS and do Tulamben as a day dive trip from there
2. Other parts of Bali are nice too, but with the time you have best bet is some time spent in DPS and/or Tulamben. Go to Ubud and spend a couple of days as well.
3. You'll find as good a selection of hotels as anywhere in the world...and at relatively good prices
4. I've stayed at quite a few places in Lembeh. At the higher price end of the range (but still reasonable...Lembeh is a bargain) I'd recommend Kasawari
5. As others had mentioned, domestic air travel in Indo is a head ache...as of 6 months ago when I was last there you still couldnt use a US credit card to book any airline online. I consider Lion Air the most reliable..they fly to/from Manado with stop (no change of planes) in Makassar. Lionair.co.id is their website. All domestic carriers likely fly this route...seems like I'd flown it nonstop before but cant recall which airline. When you select a dive resort in Sulawesi they can probably help you or buy the ticket for you.
6. Muck diving...diving black sand/mud rather than coral reefs, often in Lembeh with a fair amount of trash in the water...but where unbelievable marine life lives...and Lembeh is where you can routinely see many things you just won't easily see anywhere else. Mimic octopus, rhinopias, blue ring octopus, 3 types of pygmy seahorses...I could go on and on and on. For some reason some divers don't earn an apprecation for what you can see here until after they have been diving for awhile. I'd google Lembeh and just read up on it.
7. I personally would do your schedule completely differently, starting by doing Bali first. You've just flown 24 hours, why add another 4 hour flight plus land transfer right away? Stay on the beach in DPS, and do your open AOW course there..as I mentioned mantas and maybe molas!, taking a day trip to Tulamben as part of it. Use DPS as a base for afternoon trips to some of the nearby temples Tanah Lot, Uluwatu. Then move on to Ubud and spend a couple of days exploring the area as well. Then move on to Sulawesi...I think you can cut out some time you have built in as travel to/from MDC...you want to give yourself the maximum amount of time for diving. Do the course in Bali, not Sulawesi..you wouldn't want to take away any time from diving there..plus you don't find a lot of instructors (mostly dms) at the resorts up there as people don't regularly do courses there. Don't get me wrong, you could find one, but its not something that's usually done there. DO find a way to work in both Lembeh/Bunaken...I don't think you're stretching yourself at all and you get to see two incredibly different locations that are nearby each other. You could dive all day in Lembeh, for example, then transfer to Bunaken after and be diving again the next day there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom