Edge bcd/hog wing recall

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just in case it is interesting to anyone, here the manufactures report that was in the DiveRite/Halcyon OPV spring recall report (NOT ANYTHING TO DO WITH EDGE PRODUCTS). I have no clue how to read it. Nor do I know if it is what their bad springs were or what the good ones were supposed to be. I would be curious to know if anyone understands this and has any comments about what it means. http://sumnermckenzie.com/DiveRiteOPVspringSpecs.pdf

Just in case it is interesting to anyone, here the manufactures report that was in the DiveRite/Halcyon OPV spring recall report (NOT ANYTHING TO DO WITH EDGE PRODUCTS). I have no clue how to read it. Nor do I know if it is what their bad springs were or what the good ones were supposed to be. I would be curious to know if anyone understands this and has any comments about what it means. http://sumnermckenzie.com/DiveRiteOPVspringSpecs.pdf

Although the analysis, doesn't specify iron content, adding up what is there says this is 304. My experience with 304 is that it WILL corrode in SALT water IF it is not rinsed off with with fresh water. Springs are thin and any corrosion could weaken them. So if you put your BC up for the winter without rinsing the dump valves throughly of salt, this could start a corrosion process. Remember the salt can crystalized on the springs if not rinsed off before it is allowed to dry on its own, this could lead to a build up of salt crystals on the springs. This would require a thorough washing of the valve with fresh to dissolve the crystals.

316 stainless has superior corrosion resistance to 304 stainless in salt water. Fresh water doesn't attack 304. 316 doesn't care if its rinsed or not and it will look new even in heavy brine even after years of contact exposure. Springs are available in 316 SS

However, 304 is superior to the 400 series of SS, which will readily rust in saltwater but 4xx will not rust as quickly as regular steel. I can't tell from the report if these are the new springs or not, maybe the previous springs were of the 400 series making them deteriorate more quickly.

It doesn't take much time to weaken a 20 guage spring when put in a corrosive environment and the dump valve spring is more or less hidden from view so it takes more care to rinse it properly if it is not 316 SS.

Why not always use 316? Because 316 is more expensive than 304, and other SS, not alot more in cost but certainly more, and then you have people in the chain of manufacturing that could care less what the spring is made of knowingly or unknowingly substituting the part of a lessor quality for the job. It takes a keen eye to spot ("suspect") the difference between 304 and 316.

It should be the responcibility of the valve manufacturer's QA/QC department to ensure that all parts remain as specified by the engineers with random tests performed on each batch of parts (springs) received from a supplier. This is not likely done unless they happen to have their own SA machine. Otherwise they would have to forecast their parts usage to include time to get results back from a lab before a batch (of springs) could be placed into parts bins for immediate manufacturing use.

Last edited:
results of testing

1)spring test reports for supplier of replacement springs
18.587% of chrom and 8.391% of nickel.It is OK.

2)Spring test report for supplier of springs involved in recall (from new unused springs in factory from same spring supplier as the bad springs)
18.759% of chrom and 8.358% of nickel.It is OK.

3)spring test reports for bad springs found by EDGE
15.136% of chrom and 3.823% of nickel.It is not OK.
So,we judge of mixing bad material into the new supplier.

Comments from my BCD vendor

"New supplier means the one who become our supplier just two years ago and supplies the questionable spring that you discover rust. They still refuse to admit of the possibility of mixingmaterial, even we showed to them the test report of your rust spring.
We judge that the it is a mixing material problem, the quantity of bad spring may be very small, because we could not find any in the remaining spring left in stock after 30 days immersion in salt water"

My comments, in all the further springs we have seen so far we have only seen a very few that were rusted and pitted. Most were in great shape. One BCD we saw one spring looking brand new and the other spring pitting...

I'm very glad we did the recall.

@Cerich

The corroded springs found by Edge seem to be of 15-5 Stainless. It is impossible to sample all the springs to see if the 15-5 was swaped for the 18-8(304) using spectrum analysis, however if a Neo magnet is poked in amongst the springs , the 15-5 springs will be strongly attracted to it, with 304 not so much, only a very weak attraction. So instead of waiting 30 days in immersion, the 15-5 springs could be quickly separated from the 304 stock. Anyway 30 days may be insufficient and not show any corrosion unless the water was oxygenated and warm.

@Cerich

The corroded springs found by Edge seem to be of 15-5 Stainless. It is impossible to sample all the springs to see if the 15-5 was swaped for the 18-8(304) using spectrum analysis, however if a Neo magnet is poked in amongst the springs , the 15-5 springs will be strongly attracted to it, with 304 not so much, only a very weak attraction. So instead of waiting 30 days in immersion, the 15-5 springs could be quickly separated from the 304 stock. Anyway 30 days may be insufficient and not show any corrosion unless the water was oxygenated and warm.

Thank you, I will pass your comments and suggestions along to my BCD producer.

@Cerich,

A Neodymium magnet can be obtained from a security alarm, tubular door switch. You could call your security tech and have him drop one off gratis, then you could do your own testing as well.
Alarm system screwdrivers also have a Neo magnet in the handle.

@Cerich,

A Neodymium magnet can be obtained from a security alarm, tubular door switch. You could call your security tech and have him drop one off gratis, then you could do your own testing as well.
Alarm system screwdrivers also have a Neo magnet in the handle.

now that is cool to know, THANKS!

Not in TO proper, Just outside in Oshawa I do.

If you are comfortable with changing the springs I can send the m to you (when they actually arrive)

I expect to have springs within 10 days.

Best,

Chris

Hi Chris,
Do you mind giving me the contact info for that HOG Dealer in the Oshawa area?

Thanks!

Just want to comment on the FANTASTIC customer service that EDGE/HOG is providing!

Yesterday I received my replacement spring in the mail (I live in Canada), installed it and all is looking great!

It shows that EDGE/HOG has what it takes to be a Leader in this industry - Great products, along with Exceptional customer service!

Thanks!

Regards,
Tzetzo

Back
Top Bottom