Edited (or Not) Videos Online

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa:
I use a TRV900. PD150 is a great camera, much better than my 900. I use Vegas too. Makes editing easy and is very stable. Does the Ikelite housing have access to manual white balance ?

I am very fond of my 150, but its black and white viewfinder (one of its "professional" features) is a real limitation underwater. A brilliantly colored parrot fish becomes just another gray object, so it is hard to properly frame a shot. A lot has to do with my eyes. I think I will need to invest in a prescription mask with bifocal inserts. (Ah, the indignities of age.) I think I will also order a mirror which may let me see the color LCD if I fold it flat against the side of the camera.

The Ikelite housing will let me do a manual white balance but until I get my ability to see what I am shooting sorted out I am hestitant to use it.

RickSp:
I think I will also order a mirror which may let me see the color LCD if I fold it flat against the side of the camera.

Cheap and easy fix for you, just buy a rearview mirror from a bicycle store and tape it to your handle, works a charm. Duct tape adds beauty as well...

RickSp:
Here are some rough edits of a some video I shot last week in Bonaire. Each is two minutes or less. Encoded for broadband.

Bonaire Clips

Rick

Rick, great editing. Amateurs should watch your videos then do their videos. NO unnecessary effects, clean transitions. The music worked as well. There are a few videos, from resort video makers, that are almost unwatchable due to poor use of effects and music.

There is a directo,r who does NHL, who is an old timer and he calls unnecessary effects "Donky Kong effects". Just because you have the ability to do an effect does not mean you should use it.

Mike Veitch:
Cheap and easy fix for you, just buy a rearview mirror from a bicycle store and tape it to your handle, works a charm. Duct tape adds beauty as well...

Interesting idea. Worth a try.

Thanks,

Rick

MikeC:
Rick, great editing. Amateurs should watch your videos then do their videos. NO unnecessary effects, clean transitions. The music worked as well. There are a few videos, from resort video makers, that are almost unwatchable due to poor use of effects and music.

There is a directo,r who does NHL, who is an old timer and he calls unnecessary effects "Donky Kong effects". Just because you have the ability to do an effect does not mean you should use it.

Thanks Mike, I appreciate it. I've always thought that, in most cases, if the editing called attention to itself, the editor was probably missing the point. (This is excluding music videos, some commercials and sci-fi where the compositing sometimes is the point.) Less is often more.

MikeC:
There are a few videos, from resort video makers, that are almost unwatchable due to poor use of effects and music.

Just because you have the ability to do an effect does not mean you should use it.

Must admit, every now and again....guilty as charged!!! Still watchable though...

Too slow of an internet connection here so can't watch it. No constructive criticism from this end.

Nice videos, thanks for the peek!

Must admit, every now and again....guilty as charged!!!

Mike, what separates a good editor from the bad is that the good one realizes his/her error and doesn't make it again. Some real poor ones just don't catch on and understand.

One video I saw was back when the Video Toaster was widely used by people. This video had almost every possible transition in it but a simple dissolve... A nice 15 to 20 frame dissolve works sooo nicely. Cuts work as well, under certain conditions.

RickSp:
Here are some rough edits of a some video I shot last week in Bonaire. Each is two minutes or less. Encoded for broadband.

Bonaire Clips

Rick

Thanks for the clips Rick! Great footage and glad to see that Bonaire has recovered pretty well from Ivan. I was there as the hurricane luckily pretty much just passed us by. Afterword, the reef was covered with sand, and there was some extensive damage to the coral (especially the brain coral).

Some of my video (old, haven't posted anything new on here in ages..)

U/W Video

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom