Editing mixed format footage (AVI, M2T and AVCHD)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think some Blu-ray players can read a HD computer video file
My new Sony BDP-370 seems to be able to - they list: .m2ts, .mts, .mkv, mp4, divx, .avi, AVCHD - almost every common format. On DVD/Blu-Ray or via USB. It appears I can plug a video camera in and view clips off the HDD/CF card. And it's networkable - wired or wirelessN with an adapter. (can't wait to stream Netflix...)

Well, I bit the bullet and bought the Sony HDR-CX550V and have been editing the resulting MTS files. Certainly a bit of a PITA on my 1.6 GHz dual core laptop, but better on my 3.2 GHz quad core desktop. For some of the video, converting it to MPEG-2 resulted in reasonably good footage to edit.

I've used Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum on both computers to do the editing. When the converted MPEG-2 files are sufficient, I can use them in Premiere Elements to create DVDs. No Blue-Ray yet... but it looms on the horizon!

HD media players have been out for a while at $100. I don't know why the Blu-Ray mfr took so long to add the capability. You could see things going this direction with people downloading off the internet.

I just upgraded my XP 32 bit system with a Newegg bundled MB with USB3.0 + AMD 3.2GH six core cpu + 4GB DDR3 for a litle south of $500. Now I can see the progress bar move in APE. Look at what you can output as well as import. Some software won't output 1080p DVD. iMovie I think will take ASHD but iDVD won't output HD DVDs and neither will FCE. APE will do just about anything you want but still a little unstable.

Look at a MB+sixcore upgrade - don't have to dedicate the computer to the video while it is rendering.

Edit: OOPS, saw your APE comment but it could stand repeating

Have been slowly getting through the AVCHD files from the submersible. They were shot with a Canon and apparently aren't compatible with my older version 8.0d of Vegas Movie Studio Platinum. Footage from the Sony camcorders is. The Canon footage can be read by version 10.0 of VMSP. I decided to convert all the Canon footage to MPEG-2 and edit in APE instead and it is working. Conversions of files are slow, but I let them run over night while I'm dreaming of warm water and beautiful mermaids.

Back
Top Bottom