The Sony HDR-CX550V: To Buy or Not to Buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Yes, that is the question.

As I've posted before, my Sony HC-7 HDV camcorder's tape mechanism has failed and Sony tells me it will cost $500 to fix it. Since the darned camcorder never gave me really good results, I'll be darned if I'll throw good money after bad.

Looking at the Sony HDR-CX550V. After three failed tape drive mechanisms in three different Sony camcorders (TRV-510, TRV-17 and the HC-7) I'm ready to go tapeless (and look forward to saving the cost of mini-DV tapes as an added bonus).

I've read through the threads that mention this camcorder, but have not seen any significant feedback in them about its performance underwater... color rendition, low light performance, etc. Would greatly appreciate some.

At the end of this month I'll begin a series of 8 dives in a semisub (the Antipodes) as part of Scott Cassell and OceanGate's Expedition Catalina and want to make sure I can bring home the bacon filming at depths as deep as 900 ft!

Link to the video referenced above:

[vimeo]13837516[/vimeo]

A new housing is not an option at this time. I haven't received my stimulus check yet. Camera and new lights are the priorities at the moment. Most of my video involves close-ups or macro of critters where the lighting effectively negates any need for MWB.

If my memory is correct, both the 500VE and 520V use slightly smaller Exmore CMOS chips than the 550V which is supposed to be better in low light.

If my memory is correct, both the 500VE and 520V use slightly smaller Exmore CMOS chips than the 550V which is supposed to be better in low light.

I was originally looking @ the CX 350V, but a very knowledgeable sales guy gave me the lesson on this year's Exmor technology: buy the 1/2" chip...not the 1/4". I know for fact the 550V has the 1/2", not sure of the others you mentioned, but now you know the question to ask before you buy. The 550V is $300 more than the 350V, but this salesguy worked w/ both camera's in low light situations & was quite convinced there is a significant difference - particularly in color quality & clarity.

I'd have to look it up but I'm pretty sure the 550V, the 520V, and the 500V all have the same sensor. All three model camcorders have the improved "Exmor R" CMOS sensor for improved low light shooting and all have the same sized one. The difference between the 520 and 500 is their capacity. I think the 550 has a slightly larger lens than the 520 & 500 so make sure if you get the 550, it will fit into the housing OK. If you have the TopDawg it should assuming you have the right tray and hookups inside.

By the way, one nice advantage of the 550 is the fact it will take an SD card so you don't have to use the Sony Duo Pro memory stick if you want to record to them.

I wanted to check for my future reference (leaning towards the XR550V) so thought I'd post the results here.

All the 500 series have the 1/2.88" back-illuminated "Exmor R" CMOS sensor.
The 300 and 100 series have the 1/4" back-illuminated "Exmor R" CMOS sensor.

HDR-XR550V
Media Type : 240GB Non-Removeable Hard Disk Drive Memory Stick PRO Duo™ MARK2 Media and SD/SDHC/SDXC (Class 4) media
Imaging Sensor : 1/2.88" back-illuminated "Exmor R" CMOS sensor

HDR-CX550V
Media Type : 64GB Non-Removeable Flash Memory; Memory Stick PRO Duo™ MARK2 Media and SD/SDHC/SDXC (Class 4) media

HDR-CX520V
Recording Media : 64GB Non-Removable Flash memory Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media

HDR-XR520V
Recording Media : 240GB Non-Removeable Hard Disk Drive Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media
* Media Card slot : Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media1
* Imaging Device : 1/2.88" "Exmor R" CMOS sensor

HDR-CX500V
Recording Media : 32GB Non-Removable Flash memory; Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media

HDR-XR500V
Recording Media : 120GB Non-Removeable Hard Disk Drive Memory Stick PRO Duo™ Media

Last edited:
Interesting... the site I looked at (I thought it was Sony's) indicated the 550 series had the 1.2.88" Exmoor R while the others had a slightly smaller Exmoor chip.

Will have to check this out after I get back from my night dive... heading out the door.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom