Question Egypt Safety due ongoing War in the region

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello, Egyptian here.

As it stands right now both Hurghada and Sharm are significantly safer than any major European or American city. However, the situation could change quickly as in the past couple weeks tensions have been escalating between Egypt and Israel and they seem insistent on entering Rafah on the border with Egypt which will cause an increase in the intensity of the conflict.

I would still feel comfortable diving in/out of mainland Egypt but would perhaps avoid Sinai for the time being.

I would still feel comfortable diving in/out of mainland Egypt but would perhaps avoid Sinai for the time being.

يا لهوي, ايه الكلام ده؟

يعني بلحه حيعمل أيه؟ هو راقل عشان يحارب او بيتهرب زي العرص؟

يا لهوي, ايه الكلام ده؟

يعني بلحه حيعمل أيه؟ هو راقل عشان يحارب او بيتهرب زي العرص؟

Sisi is an unpopular leader who might have to make the choice between getting ousted in a coup or becoming the most popular Egyptian in a generation. Shouldn’t be too hard. Both the military and intelligence communities are extremely pissed off at Israel right now and we have publicly threatened to suspend Camp David if the whole thing goes forward - as the operation would be a violation of the treaty by Israel. Large numbers of Egyptian armour has been seen moving into Sinai as a precaution and our state-affiliated TV channels and even the Muslim Brotherhood has been rallying people behind the state. I fully expect Israel to back down as they cannot afford a direct confrontation with their only peer opponent at the moment and even if they don’t it’s likely this is all posturing anyway. You never know though. The real danger is that all of this would embolden other groups inside Gaza and Iran-affiliated groups to escalate the conflict.

Wife and I just came home 2 weeks ago from a 5 week trip in Egyptian Red Sea and as usual you really do not know of any problems in those areas , 3.5 weeks diving , 65 dives for a 70 year old man and 57 dives for a 73 year old women . Our only concerns were to avoid DCS and upset tummies which we were successful .
We flew into Hurghada from Istanbul then shuttled down to Hamata for a week, shore diving, then 2 liveaboards for 3 weeks of total liveaboard diving.
We have been there diving 7 trips in 10 years. 3 trips down into Sudan waters but not since their civil war moved into Khartoum.
What is going on in south Red Sea and in Israel are not even close to where we were and my biggest concerns on our trips have been driving from our home to Atlanta Int. Airport, it is a nightmare of traffic.
Hope this helps.

Wife and I just came home 2 weeks ago from a 5 week trip in Egyptian Red Sea and as usual you really do not know of any problems in those areas , 3.5 weeks diving , 65 dives for a 70 year old man and 57 dives for a 73 year old women . Our only concerns were to avoid DCS and upset tummies which we were successful .
We flew into Hurghada from Istanbul then shuttled down to Hamata for a week, shore diving, then 2 liveaboards for 3 weeks of total liveaboard diving.
We have been there diving 7 trips in 10 years. 3 trips down into Sudan waters but not since their civil war moved into Khartoum.
What is going on in south Red Sea and in Israel are not even close to where we were and my biggest concerns on our trips have been driving from our home to Atlanta Int. Airport, it is a nightmare of traffic.
Hope this helps.
Amazing! Very jealous!

Hope this helps.

How did you find the water temperature?

That is accurate that the temps were on the computer display . Brothers- 23.8 cel- 75 fah.
Daedalus- 24.5 cel - 76 fah
Rocky- 25 cel - 77 fah
Elba reef system on Sudan border- 25- 26 cel- 77-78 fah
Nice for me but chilly for wife, not a good rhyme! but accurate.
We had the time of our life .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom