Electronic Dive Log

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@doctormike - have you used subsurface in the past? I use subsurface now, just wondering what benefits I might get by switching to macdive. I'd like to see my logs on my phone, for instance.

I had to write code just to get my oceanic diverlog log entries into subsurface, so format standards for importing/exporting logs are an important feature as well. I wouldn't recommend oceanic diverlog for that matter..

I got my Oceanlog into Subsurface by exporting it to divelogs - Online Dive Logs (free) then importing the data from Divelogs.de into subsurface.

I log my dives on my iPad using an app called Dive Log. (There is also an Android version I think, but I have no experience with it.) It isn't very fancy and it basically replaces the paper log, but it meets my needs.
I use Dive Log as well. It is actually pretty sophisticated depending on how much data you want to provide it, and (in some instances) which dive computer you use to interface with it. Using the Shearwater Petrel 2, Dive Log provides the log (depth/temp) in graphical form as well as including all the dive data. There is a companion desktop app that you can use to add in other information as well. For me, one of the best features is the statistical calculations it does. I can quickly find out how many dives I've done in a particular month/year, number of dives at various locations, temperature ranges, etc.

I think Dive Log is a great program, but how much detail you want from a logging program is going to be partly dependent on how much data you are willing to put into it.

man, I am having a hard time deciding which way to go on this. I just got a note from Shearwater that they expect to release their cloud based app for iOS within a couple weeks.

I feel a little tricked by "DiveLog". I went ahead and paid the $13 for the iOS app, only to find out they expect another $3 for the Shearwater add-on. And being a bit of a green horn with all the 'app stuff', do I have to pay that again to put that on my second iOS device (ipad)? And to add to my confusion.. People say that you can use the 'DiveLog' app on a windows PC... But Seem to throw in the "Diver Log 6.0" as if we are supposed to understand the relationship. Are these two different apps? Do I get to pay again? Will they sync up effortlessly? Or will I have a PITA mapping files to make this work?

I know.. that $16 ($13+3,, or maybe $32) is not a lot compared to the new $800 computer I just bought.. but I don't like to feel like I'm being reeled in here, a dollar at a time.

Subsurface seems really nice.. Free is good too. I just want to be able to wirelessly download my logs onto my iphone/ipad, and it does not sound like it can do that yet..

Ha! I always seem to end up to doing things the hard way...

I recall I'd tried something similar but decided the level of log detail lost by going through multiple apps wasn't satisfactory..

Apps change, versions change, what wasn't satisfactory before may be passable now, but in general the chances of 100% lossless round-trip are inversely proportional to the number of hoops you have to jump through.

man, I am having a hard time deciding which way to go on this. I just got a note from Shearwater that they expect to release their cloud based app for iOS within a couple weeks.

I feel a little tricked by "DiveLog". I went ahead and paid the $13 for the iOS app, only to find out they expect another $3 for the Shearwater add-on. And being a bit of a green horn with all the 'app stuff', do I have to pay that again to put that on my second iOS device (ipad)? And to add to my confusion.. People say that you can use the 'DiveLog' app on a windows PC... But Seem to throw in the "Diver Log 6.0" as if we are supposed to understand the relationship. Are these two different apps? Do I get to pay again? Will they sync up effortlessly? Or will I have a PITA mapping files to make this work?

I know.. that $16 ($13+3,, or maybe $32) is not a lot compared to the new $800 computer I just bought.. but I don't like to feel like I'm being reeled in here, a dollar at a time.

Subsurface seems really nice.. Free is good too. I just want to be able to wirelessly download my logs onto my iphone/ipad, and it does not sound like it can do that yet..

Subsurface ios app doesn't seem that functional yet in terms of cloud sync but I'm going to play around with it a bit when I get home and see what I can get it to do.

As far as the diverlog iOS app, you *should* be able to redownload it on another device from the App Store using the same Apple ID, or on a family member's device by setting up family sharing.

The shearwater cloud app sounded enticing to me as well, but I got rejected from the invite only beta and don't feel the need to migrate my logs for a third time :)

One more thing- if you do go to subsurface, it's only a few clicks to sync those logs to divelogs.de which is a web based app. However that requires an internet connection and in general the divelogs.de logs don't seem to hold much detail. E.g most of the theoretical values that subsurface calculates won't go to divelogs.de

I maintain a paper log as my primary - I keep the full spiel/description in my paper log, however I then transfer the pertinent information from this to my diviac log - I do take the time to ensure accurate GPS coords on each dive, so that I get a nice pretty map (See below). I am slowly (very low priority) copying my descriptions across to make a complete back up. I also download the dive files from my computer to my laptop and archive it. That way even if everything goes wrong I will always have a record somewhere. A little anal I know, but I've seen total failure of a network at work, and the results were catastrophic. I'd rather keep my history intact somehow

diviac.png

Edit: Diviac as well as a user friendly website have a well put together app for both iOS and android, both of which I use frequently

This is really beyond the context of this discussion, but I think that the promise of "being digital" is here for a lot of our world, and that having separate, time consuming procedures for such a tiny fraction of our data like a dive log seems unnecessary to me.

All of my dive data (along with vast amounts of other data like family photos, genealogy information, videos, interviews with relatives who are now gone, financial data, personal contact information, writing, lectures that I give, medical records, legal contracts, etc...) lives on my laptop's hard drive.

When I am at work, the laptop is connected to an external Time Machine drive that automatically backs up everything in the background without my thinking about it (1 TB drive is about $50 now). In addition, I back up to a second external drive at home every once in a while. Furthermore, I subscribe to CrashPlan ($50/year) which is also making a rolling backup whenever my laptop is on a WiFi signal (almost always). My dive data is also on my phone and on iCloud (synced with MacDive), so that it's always with me, and backed up yet one more time without effort.

The point of this is that the important stuff isn't the laptop, or the external drives, it's the data. So yeah, a computer can fail, a network can crash, but if you are good with your data like this that should be of no more than passing concern. I hardly ever think about this process - apart from the second external drive it's all happening in the background.

And yeah, if I was worried about an EMP attack, I could just print out the dive log and have a nice little booklet to peruse for when SkyNet becomes self-aware...!

Back
Top Bottom