Embarrassing Scuba Related Incidents -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm sure you must all have some - so I will start the ball rolling -

This morning my nice new dry-suit under-suit arrived and I couldn't wait to try it on (in case it need to be changed or anything - honest). So off to the bedroom, under-suit on - lovely fits a treat !

Ok - it is very bulky, does it fit under my nice slimline front entry drysuit?

Down to my workshop, dry suit out of its storage, back indoors, put drysuit on - gosh it's hot, perspiration coming off in buckets, it's a little bit 'tight' around the hips but nothing too uncomfortable, so I try a few exercises, yep can still touch my toes, reach valves and so on, so it is OK, just need to lose a couple of extra pounds which need to go anyway.

You guessed it - right at that point the doorbell goes - delivery guy from AMAZON with the rest of the Christmas presents which we are waiting for and need signing for. There is absolutely no way to get out of dry-suit in time to get to the door before he leaves, so off I go to the front door to in the drysuit - perspiration dripping - :dork2: - the look on the drivers face was a priceless - sadly seems some of my neighbours were also outside and now have this vision of the guy next door skulking around in TRILAM and neoprene when he's on his own at home - will I ever be able to show my face in public again?

My hastily shouted - "It's a new drysuit - I was just trying it on" was met with a polite, tolerant "Er - OK, see you around" :shakehead:

Never mind - they are not divers - they wouldn't understand.

Have fun - Phil.

Too funny! That reminds me of THIS story. It's funny to read, but man, was I frustrated at the time!

My twinset weighs as much as i do. on the kitting up bench one day, i leaned a little too far back and fell backwards. There was no getting up on my own and my buddies were no where near me at the time. They came around the corner to find me flailing about on my back trying to get up. After they had a good giggle for a good five minutes, they decided to help me up so we could actually dive.

Then there was the day when I showed up to help out on a ladies dive at a local site. I was in doubles, and the two gals I was leading were in singles. Neither had dived the site before. Entry involves walking down a flight of stairs to a little area that's a beach at low tide, but at high tide, is awash in almost opaque water which completely obscures the large rocks that are scattered randomly in the sand. I warned the others, "Be careful how you walk, because you can't see the rocks, and they can trip you." I turned around, took two steps, slammed my shin into one of said rocks and went flat on my face, like the tricycle rider on Laugh In. Of course, I didn't have my mask on or a reg in my mouth . . . found my bungied backup, took a breath and flipped over on my back and said -- almost without missing a beat -- "Just like that!"

I had a similar incident as Phil_C. I had ordered a semi-dry suit and was very happy when it arrived in the dead of the winter. I was working temporarily in a new town and didn't know any of the neighbors. Since I lived alone and didn't have a swimsuit, I tried on the suit over my bra and panties. I even managed to get the zipper across the back zipped shut. Things were pretty different when I tried to take it off. I got the zipper open but couldn't get out of the thing. I also had worked up a sweat and was wondering if I was going to have to cut my way out and buy a useless suit. Well, there was the neighbor outside cleaning up his yard. I pondered long and hard about walking outside and asking him to come over and help me out of the suit. Should I surprise him or tell him what I have on underneath? I decided I couldn't do this and after struggling for what seemed like a half hour, I was able to get out of it. I just couldn't think about meeting my neighbor like that or risk losing what little I had on when he pulled the suit off.

LOL my experience with my semi dry was exactly the same......except i had to drive to a friends house and get it off.....which then meant i had to borrow clothes to drive home in because whilst boiling like a lobster trying to extricate myself from it I forgot about something to put on to drive home. Shes a few sizes bigger than I am so I ended up in her 11 year old sons shorts and a wiggles t shirt.

Oh so many...well I'll spare you the ones involving bodily functions. How about this: Diving in a bay some years ago, kind of murky, my dive buddy got ahead of me and didn't notice. Suddenly I found myself wrapped up in a long bundle of loose fishing line. I stayed calm and tried to untangle myself but it wasn't happening. I owned a knife that I always carried, but I had absentmindedly left it in the back of my car when suiting up! I realized the only solution was to take off my rig and untangle the line and I began to do so, still calm. This spot was not popular with scuba divers so imagine my surprise when out of nowhere a random diver appeared, produced a knife, cut me free and then swam away. I was embarrassed! I was also a little mad at my dive buddy for leaving me hanging, since she could have easily helped me out. But of course I should have done a thorough check and had my knife with me. I always imagine the other diver telling a story that goes, "One time I was diving in the bay and I found this idiot with no knife wrapped up in fishing line and his rig off! I totally saved his life!" :)
I usually try to keep a knife/shears attached to my BCD at all times these days but I have had some bad luck with these tools occasionally coming loose and getting lost.

I always imagine the other diver telling a story that goes, "One time I was diving in the bay and I found this idiot with no knife wrapped up in fishing line and his rig off! I totally saved his life!" :)
I usually try to keep a knife/shears attached to my BCD at all times these days but I have had some bad luck with these tools occasionally coming loose and getting lost.

Wow, That was you? I always wondered who's life it was I saved. :superman: :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom