Emerald weekend #3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karstdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
The last construction weekend will be October 21st and 22nd. Any volunteers to finish the last part of this project would be appreciated,plus any tools you can bring. Were close folks...lets get this place open so we can dive there. We are working on accommodations at Camp Indian springs for $8 per night,please RSVP me by PM

Good luck with it. I will, of course, be teaching again that weekend.

I'm looking forward to once again diving the site after all these years. What a very beautiful cave!!

Johnny
www.cavediving.com

Apparently 100 full cave dives, and trimix cert. Puts me off the list for 2 years probably, maybe more.

The local cave/trimix instructors should enjoy it though.

PerroneFord:
The local cave/trimix instructors should enjoy it though.

No training will be permitted at Emerald so strike the "local cave/trimix instructors" comment.

There are quite a few divers who don't live locally who do meet the criteria to dive this site. Just as Cow Springs, Alachua Sink, Eagle's Nest and others set prerequisite levels of training and experience for access, so will Emerald.

Not every site is suited to every diver. The cave is, however, accessible to all who meet the prerequisites. Keep in mind that this cave has been closed to all but a few for more than ten years and Wakulla Park wishes to take a fairly conservative approach at the beginning. Access requirements may be reviewed and perhaps relaxed over time.

This isn't about "local divers"- just divers qualified for the system.

Johnny
www.cavediving.com

Johnny,

My comments regarding the local cave/trimix instructors was in regards to the one's I know. They have suitable experience to dive this site. I am aware that there is not training to be done there, and my comment had nothing to do with training.

I understand that other systems have similar criteria and that's all well and good. My comments reflect the feelings of those local to the site who were formerly able to dive this site with an OW card (I was not certified before the site was closed).

I do understand and appreciate the work the NSSCDS, NACD, and you personally, have done to get this site re-opened. I am not attempting to belittle that. If I harbored anger toward the decision, I would not have spent 8 hours helpnig to build the steps, nor would I have suggested to my cave instructor that we take one day out of our cave class to ALL vounteer our time and the shop's equipment to assist in the effort.

There will be a good number of people who can come in and enjoy a dive at this site. Just as I am sure there will be when Indian opens, and perhaps Sally Ward and all the rest. I suppose it gives me something of a carrot to continue to work on my cave diving and improve my skills.

Johnny Richards:
No training will be permitted at Emerald so strike the "local cave/trimix instructors" comment.

There are quite a few divers who don't live locally who do meet the criteria to dive this site. Just as Cow Springs, Alachua Sink, Eagle's Nest and others set prerequisite levels of training and experience for access, so will Emerald.

Thanks again.

Not every site is suited to every diver. The cave is, however, accessible to all who meet the prerequisites. Keep in mind that this cave has been closed to all but a few for more than ten years and Wakulla Park wishes to take a fairly conservative approach at the beginning. Access requirements may be reviewed and perhaps relaxed over time.

This isn't about "local divers"- just divers qualified for the system.

Johnny
www.cavediving.com

PerroneFord:
My comments regarding the local cave/trimix instructors was in regards to the one's I know. They have suitable experience to dive this site. I am aware that there is not training to be done there, and my comment had nothing to do with training...........

Perrone:

I didn't take your comments in a negative manner.

I just wanted to make it clear to all that the site wasn't to be one of those "special" sites with undue restrictions and access for a very few. Your work is much appreciated as are your comments.

And yes, let's keep working together toward access to Sally Ward and all the rest of the closed caves in the Tallahassee area. There are some very beautiful caves just aching to be dove.

Johnny

Perrone
I understand what you are saying. Something that is feared is what happened Jan 5,2001 which can be accessed through www.iucrr.org Also there is another situation that involved a FSU student that doesn't appear there. I know there will be some locals who'll want to dive the site on an OW card,but past experience hasn't been too friendly to them.

The other things too is we have to prove to the local community that we (cave divers as a group) can do cave diving safely. The sinks in and around Tallahassee have been closed for 10 years,and therefore there has been no accidents among "trained" cave divers. The WKPP that has been accessing the area doesn't have a history of accidents,but they also represent an extremely small percent of per capita recreational cave diving. With some recent research that was done we represent an extremely small percent of any scuba diving accident,and actually have a very good safety record. The thing we have to remember is that we will be under the microscope to make sure this can be done safely inorder to gain credibility,and the possibility of negotiating further recreational access. The one thing you and other Tallahassee cave divers can do is make sure that the rules are followed,and we make sure that dives are safe so we can develop a track record.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom