Emerald weekend #3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is my hope that both through training, and restraint, we have no further accidents in the local caves. I know I hear it all the time when people find out I am a cave diver or rather an aspiring cave diver. We lost a local diver at Ginnie a couple of years ago and that is still fresh on people's minds.

Again, I do appreciate what you guys are doing, but as you can imagine, it's hard living on top of the Woodville Karst and knowing that you can't dive it for several years now that it's "open"! :)

Take care gentleman and thank for all you do.

Unfortunately cave diving in the Leon sinks area can be deceptively easy,and people will be anxious to dive something local versus driving to JB or Peacock,but may not be quite ready for it. I am going to add to your comment of training and restraint,by adding experience. If training fixed everything we wouldn't have an increase in trained cave diver accidents,and if restraint always worked then the marketing campaign of "just say no" would have been successful. I am not knocking what you are saying at all,just saying that I think that sometimes we don't always savor the experience we get along the way because we are goal driven. I would love to see the Andrea Doria,but realize that I don't have any where near the experience to do it,and turn down invitations all the time.

karstdvr:
I would love to see the Andrea Doria,but realize that I don't have any where near the experience to do it,and turn down invitations all the time.

What? You've got your Advanced card right? :wink:

Right.....

(just kidding)

Johnny does have a good point about the experience restrictions, but it is a little frustrating to have to be trimix trained to dive at a place that isnt actually deep enough to require trimix. Im told that the downstream side is 150' average and 180' max, and that easily within the limits for air, if you have experience that deep. But the upstream side of the system is only about 60' depth until a few hundred feet past Cheryl and you get to the Black Abyss! I have been to look at the topside of the sink and it looks beautiful (great work on the step and lot so far!) and the water was absolutely gorgeous! I understand the reasons behind requiring an Abe Davis and trimix to dive there, in terms of keeping the cave nicer and less chance of an accident, but it is a little dissapointing to know a cave system is opening up 20 minutes from my place and I wont be able to dive it! (Unless I could get in at Cheryl sink?)

diveAK:
. Im told that the downstream side is 150' average and 180' max, and that easily within the limits for air, if you have experience that deep. (Unless I could get in at Cheryl sink?)

The largest contributor to trained cave diver accidents is deep. No matter how you look at we are all probably impaired at this depth,not to mention in a cave system that many don't know. There are certain rules that the DEP want us to follow in order to be able to dive there,and trimix will be one requirement-they own the property and call the shots. Sorry Cheryl is closed for only emergency egress only. People caught accessing this property will probably lose their dive rights there,and if the sheriff does,then you get to compete with everybody to buy your gear back at impound auction :( :( :( More to come soon on the requirements to dive there and how to make a reservation.

karstdvr:
Sorry Cheryl is closed for only emergency egress only. People caught accessing this property will probably lose their dive rights there,and if the sheriff does,then you get to compete with everybody to buy your gear back at impound auction :( :( :(

Definatly dont want that to happen!

diveAK:
Definatly dont want that to happen!
Could you imagine if somebody got caught sneak diving with a rebreather and it was impounded...owww

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom