Emount zeiss 50mm macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alien,

Wow, what a hassle for a lens that was announced, what 2 years + ago? They must of had a lot of the lens in circulation for them to require the lens be sent back to them for the firmware upgrade. I can't imagine them intensionally shipping with bad FW and than asking for a return. Like Phil said, most lens FW can be upgraded by the user. Weird that Zeiss requires a factory performed update?

Until this lens proves out, I'm sticking with the Canon 60mm custom port I purchased from DrKevbo. The C60 EF-S has a good reputation, is 15mm longer (35mm equivalent) which helps in that 50mm macro is still quite short for working distances, plus the longer lens is more compatible with diopters from what I've been told and read. In addition, the custom C60 port has manual focusing. Perhaps Nauticam will eventually make a gear for the Z50. Off hand, I can't remember the width of the Z50, but the gear may run into the same issue as the S10-18 and Z16-70 in that they need the new wider mini-port ID for the gear to fit. If this is the case, Nauticam might eventually make a macro port and gear for the Z50. I think the Port 45 and extension was just a stop gap measure until they can put a gear and new wider ID port together. Just my opinion, because manual focus is usually important in macro and they haven't offered a gear yet for whatever reason.

The advantage I see for the Z50 over the C60 is the fast autofocus which can be nice when in current and stabilizing oneself with the left hand and a "Lembeh" stick. I don't have the lens and Metabones adapter yet (soon, on their way) but hope the auto focus will be good enough on static subjects that I can get a focus, however slow, and then "lock and rock" the final composition should I be in current or need to stabilize myself. I suppose if the Z50 focuses quick and accurately, using the "lock and rock" technique will overcome any need for a manual focus gear.

Since you already have the Zen mini-port adapter for your Z12 and DP-170, you may want to consider using a S&S macro port that will fit the adapter (I believe all MDX and NX ports will work, but check that out with Phil or S&S). The new Zen adapter has the wider mini-port ID and will most likely work with a focus gear should Nauticam eventually produce one. Either way, this may cut down on the number of extensions and size of ports you carry.

Lastly, there is a serious rumor that Sony will produce a longer FE (FF) G Series Macro in late 2014 for the A7 series, which would make for a much needed longer macro that will most likely work with your Zen adapter and S&S extensions/ports. Something to look forward to for us serious macro shooters. Of course, we know how long we've waited for the Z50. LOL.

Look forward to hearing your results with the Z50 once you get things ironed out.

Cheers,

Marsh

Thx Marsh. Has been v painful. Oh well will see in Anilao how it goes. Leave this Friday

My lens is firmware 0.2 us this latest? Worked one day but now wont focus. Any iseas. Anilao is fantastic

Hi Alien,

Firmware 0.2 is the latest with no problems!

Alien,

Man, Zeiss should give you the lens for all you've been through..seriously :)

You didn't happen to hit the AF/MF button, this would lock out your autofocus. For instance, if you hit the lock button and turn AF off, then it gets switched to AEL without being unlocked, the camera will remain in manual focus. You can tell when MF is active, as the little rectangle (that turns green in AF focus) on your viewfinder disappears. It's also possible this could have happened by the mechanism in your housing not lining up correctly with the camera control. I would check this first.

Perhaps the FW update did not take well or "cloud moisture" like dluzer said. LOL You could try cleaning the contacts with a soft cloth, but usually you'll get a warning the camera doesn't recognize the lens in that situation.

Unfortunately, with no manual focus gear, there's not much one can do if the above isn't the situation. I wonder if Nauticam is going to eventually make a focus gear and/or a custom port for the Z50?

I'm waiting for my Metabones Mark II with autofocus to get here and check out the Canon EF-S 60 with the Canon NEX port I just bought from DrKevbo. At least it has manual focus and hopefully will autofocus however slowly when in current on static siubjects.

WHEN…:) the rumored Sony G Series 90 Macro for FE finally gets here (supposed to be by years end) , maybe it'll fit into your Zen adapter with a S&S macro port and you can put all this behind you. A 90mm e-mount macro would be sweet :)

I'd buy you a beer or a stiff Margarita if I was there with you. You buy me one if I'm correct on the AF/MF control.

Good luck,

Marshall

Thx for the sympathy will give it a go. Ih well 30mm macro fine for the flamboyant cuttlefish today! Woo hoo and then a pair if v rare nudis Ceratasoma alini. Amazing dive

---------- Post added August 13th, 2014 at 05:01 PM ----------

Other lenses no issues so assume af mf button not the issue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom