Emount zeiss 50mm macro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

Good news and bad news ...

Since Friday I have my Zeiss Touit 2.8 50 M here and the image quality after the first test-shots looks very good!

But there are also bad news, along with flash, there are problems and Zeiss has even confirmed me this. The problem appears to be that if you press the shutter button, it takes about 3 seconds until the camera also triggers and firing the flash. Zeiss has written to me that they are working on the problem with a new firmware.

In my view, the lens is at the moment for underwater photography unusable because you can not work properly with flash.

I hope Zeiss needs not too much time for the new firmware ...

Tino

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

Wow that is bad news thanks Tino. I am still awaiting the delivery of mine. Maybe that is why it has been delayed. What version of the firmware do you have now?

Sony ILCE-6000 Firmware Version 1.00

Zeiss TOUIT 2.8/50M Firmware Version 00

Tino

Interesting that the firmware in the Z50 lens is preventing the flash from going off. Looks like it thinks the lens is not in focus yet, preventing the flash from firing? Hopefully they’ll get it fixed soon and release the lens.

On another matter regarding the Zeiss Touit 12mm, my suspicions have been confirmed by a Zeiss engineer that the bell shaped outer housing on the lens is not part of the lens function other than either cosmetic (cool look) or it helps with the design and size of the lens shade. These thoughts came to me after looking at other lens designs and a review by Kurt Munger showing 3 screws on the front of his review model that was sent to him that appeared to attach the bell collar to the lens. As he points out in the article, there’s supposed to be a fascia plate covering these screws. The newly released lens have this cover (name plate). I wrote the engineer regarding access to the mounting screws and the use of the lens without the barrel collar. His reply:

" Dear Marshall,
How are you ? Hope everything is fine. Congratulations to the purchase. I think Touit is a perfect match for NEX cameras.
For removing the outer barel you should heat the name plate ( not too hot), protect the optics and remove the flat ring maybe with a wooden stick ( which wouldn`t make any scratches). It is just fixed with a double- faced adhesive tape.
Then you`ll see the three screws which fix the outer barell.
The lens will work without that "flower shaped" shell.
But doing that as self repair / improvement warranty will be no longer valid. And it doesn`t make much sense to send it in for service because we only can guarantee for a complete lens. That`s the crux.
But I think that is ok for you because it would make your underwater housing much more affordable.
There is no instruction manual I could send to you. But I hope my description will help.
Best regards”

I just purchased the 12mm as part of the 2 lens sale for the price of one on B&H and plan to sell the 32mm and try the 12mm out in my Nauticam 4.33 dome. It easily fits without the shell and looks about the right length compared to the Sony combinations. Whether or not it will optically work in relation to the dome curvature and the virtual image that is created for the dome to function correctly, I don't really know or fully understand. Perhaps Phil can chime in here, since he’s more adept at such matters.

Given that other lens with the same AOV work in the 4.33, I suspect the Z12 will function in the 4.33 port. If so, we now have an affordable lightweight dome option (that many of us already own), rather than use the much larger, heavier and more expensive Zen DP-170 glass dome and S&S adapter ($1,200 combo). Of course, the DP-170 is an optical glass design with anti-flare coatings, etc and is a beautiful dome offering better optics (really noticeable is another matter) and definitely better over/under shots for those that work with that kind of image. Yet for those of us who want an affordable lightweight compact system, it appears we may have another option for high IQ wide angle photography using the small 4.33 port. Providing of course, one willing to void the warranty and attempt to remove the name cover to access the shell attachment screws.

Also for what it’s worth, the Port 72 Nauticam 67mm swing macro adapter can be easily fashioned to attach to the 4.33 port for adding 67mm devices. I’m still looking into using the Z16-70mm lens with this arrangement for a general-purpose single dive lens set-up, but am wondering how it will be affected by the curvature of the 4.33 dome. Another problem for such a set-up is the new Nauticam gear for the lens will most likely not fit the standard mini-port ID. I’m waiting to hear back from Reef Photo on it’s dimensions when it comes in.

It’ll be a while before I dive and will wait to hear back more on the virtual image focus capability of the 4.33 port with these lens before I attempt such. Yet, perhaps the answer will only come from trying the lens out UW in the dome.

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to use the Zeiss Touit 12, 24, 50M, and 16-70 zoom with only two small ports (4.33 and Macro 45) and an extension ring with our NEX cameras.

Updated: I talked extensively to Kevin at Reef Photo about the use of the 4.33 dome for the Touit lens. He explained that while they may fit and function, the extreme curvature of the dome would soften and affect the overall IQ of the Touits, especially on the edges, thus defeating the purpose of using such high IQ glass. While the Sony 16 + converters have the same AOV, they use only a smaller flatter portion of the 4.33 dome, not the steep edges, which makes sense since they are converter lens. Using the smaller 4.33 for all the above mentioned lens, may not be at all worth the effort, since the Zen DP-170 is designed to work with them all with better optical results. Should I try it (I'm stubborn and don't give up easily, sort of a see for myself attitude :) I'll let you know the results.

Best,

Marshall

Last edited:
Thanks Alien, I'm in no hurry to try anything at this stage. I just figured out a way to possible mount my Port 72 67mm swing mount to the DP-170, so most likely will go for the larger and better optical dome for the Z16-70 and Z12. Besides, I don't think the larger zoom gear for the Z16-70 will fit the standard mini-dome collar dimensions, while everything is designed to work in the larger dome. I'm just happy we finally have some excellent glass to work with our NEX7 rigs.

Cheers

Dived in a pool yesterday with my Zeiss 12mm and the 170mm Zen glass dome. Was nicely balance underwater. Took some nice clear shots. It is sooo wide :) Can focus as close as about 7 inches. Amazing. Will take it to Truk Lagoon in October

Cant believe it. After ordering the Zeis 50mm macro back in January from B+H and it now finally being made available form Zeiss I still have to wait yet another 2-3 weeks for it to arrive from their supplier and then be sent to Australia. Anilao on August 8 is not looking hopeful now for this macro lens.

I plan to purchase the new Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 as my macro lens on a A6000 Nauticam housing set-up. I have the lens on pre-order at B&H, due later this week (not holding my breath).

One question I have is the Nauticam port chart shows using the mini extension ring #36630 with the macro port 45 #36135 for the Touit 55.
I would like to know if the Touit 55 will work with the macro port 45 with knob 36128. The reason I ask is I need the #36128 port with knob to work with the A6000 kit SELP1650 lens and would also like to use the same port for the Touit 50mm. I sent Nauticam an e-mail over the weekend asking the same but have not yet received a response. Without seeing the knob mechanism, I don't know if it will interfere with the new lens or not. Not sure if anyone has the lens in hand to verify. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I plan to purchase the new Zeiss Touit 50mm f/2.8 as my macro lens on a A6000 Nauticam housing set-up. I have the lens on pre-order at B&H, due later this week (not holding my breath).

One question I have is the Nauticam port chart shows using the mini extension ring #36630 with the macro port 45 #36135 for the Touit 55.
I would like to know if the Touit 55 will work with the macro port 45 with knob 36128. The reason I ask is I need the #36128 port with knob to work with the A6000 kit SELP1650 lens and would also like to use the same port for the Touit 50mm. I sent Nauticam an e-mail over the weekend asking the same but have not yet received a response. Without seeing the knob mechanism, I don't know if it will interfere with the new lens or not. Not sure if anyone has the lens in hand to verify. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Im sorry dont know the answer. Yeh I was told lens may get sent on 16 July at the earliest. I am using the macro port which I already have and just buyiing the extension ring. Good luck. Have you emailed a shop the question?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom