End this Sub-Forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the suggestion. For the reasons stated (and a few more) we're gonna pass on this one.

There is often a lot to be learned from the debate, whether it is on the spcific facts of the incident of the thread or not.

I completely agree, but it has to be under the right conditions.

When there is a post about a specific incident, I would rather analyze the facts as they come in rather than speculate and throw off the entire thread by starting with speculation when there is not one single known fact other than there was an accident. An example was the thread about the Safety Team Diver. DandyDon started the thread drift with an immediate speculation of IPE. Eventually that thread was broken off from that point and put into another category because it had nothing to do with the incident. We ended up with 2 threads because of speculation.

Speculate all you want but leave the accident analysis to facts. Don't forget family members just may be reading as we have already experienced in the past.

So in summary, my humble opinion is that it is OK to speculate to learn but not within a specific incident thread when there are no facts available to review to even start the analysis.

An example was the thread about the Safety Team Diver. DandyDon started the thread drift with an immediate speculation of IPE. Eventually that thread was broken off from that point and put into another category because it had nothing to do with the incident. We ended up with 2 threads because of speculation.
If a post seems problematic, please use the Report Post button that resides at the bottom of each and every post. Please state clearly what you want done and WHY. What's obvious to you, may not be to us. That was done in this thread and the thread was split. The system works, but only if you use it properly. FWIW, simply disagreeing with a thread is not a basis for moderation.

This Board is simply huge and there are many areas that offer a ton of perspectives. If you have problems with the premise of any of these forums, please find another area to participate. Obviously, those opposed to hunting should stay out of the Underwater Hunting forum. Those who feel you MUST have a buddy should avoid our Solo Divers forum. If you don't like Religion or Politics, please stay out of The Pub. In the same vein, if you don't want a discussion about what happened or may have happened, then the Accidents and Incidents forum is NOT for you! Our strength lies in our diversity. Our diversity relies on our users reporting off topic and trollish posts so that we can deal with them.

If a post seems problematic, please use the Report Post button that resides at the bottom of each and every post. Please state clearly what you want done and WHY. What's obvious to you, may not be to us. That was done in this thread and the thread was split. The system works, but only if you use it properly. FWIW, simply disagreeing with a thread is not a basis for moderation.

Thanks Pete. I actually did, and it was split so the system worked. I am not for getting rid of the sub-forum, I just agreed with some of the points of the OP and recently clarified my "opinion" in the previous post. We all have opinions but not all of them are correct like mine are.............LOL

There will always be speculation, and discussion/argument over accidents. The internet is a perfect vehicle for this sorty of exchange. Ending this forum/sub forum would in no way eliminate that speculation, and spreading of possible false assumptions. It would just move into other SB forums, as it already tends to do anyway from time to time.

One of the purposes of this sub forum is to have a specific place for such discussion, and speculations, as well as to have a place to discuss the real facts as they become known. I personally do not haunt this forum all that much, but I do drop by to get some insight on recent accidents, understanding as I do that there will be a lot of mere speculation, a bit if braggadocio and posturing, as well as some real information.

Speculation in this forum is no more prevalent than in the "real" media news sources outside of SB forums, but at least on SB you have the ability to point out what you believer is and is not speculation, if you wish to. This has happened many times in threads I have read in this forum, as members have called "foul" and corrected assumptions, errors, and major misunderstandings.

Even discussions that have taken a tangent from the facts behind the accident itself, can be educational. The splitting off of some of these discussions is also not a bad thing. We divers are going to have these discussions and disagreements anyway, so what is wrong with establishing a sub forum where they are separated from the other areas of SB?

Just my 2 cents, of course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom