Engineering Hobby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

korear

New
Reaction score
Hey everybody

I posted this topic earlier and liked the responses that I received, but it was deleted because of the data corruption. So I thought I would repost it to see if anybody else had any input.

Would you consider SCUBA a "engineering hobby" and if not would you at least consider it a "technical hobby?"

Thanks

It is, when performed to training standards, a technical hobby.

For some of us, it's an engineering hobby. I have built my own backplates (from Lexan and yes- a stray sheet of Scandium); built a carrier system for ditchable lead shoot; u/w camera housing... stuff you do when you are stuck at home in Northern Illinois in the dead of winter.

But mostly for me, it's a relaxing hobby.

Some of us are engineers (just retired, HOOYA). For me it's not a hobby, it's been my life. I was an engineer for the Navy, helped develop all types of underwater toys.

My post was possibly for tech. dives or repair technicians. Not for rec. as assembling gear and planning rec. dives is not engineering.

For me it began as an ecological hobby. I was/am interested in fish behavior and habitat and wanted to observe these "in situ".

Both. But maybe that's just me. I like DIY stuff and I like building things in general, combined with being a cheap bastard, which makes nearly all of my interests "engineering" interests in some form or another. I don't find diving to be very technical as the concepts and math/physics behind them are quite simple but I guess you could look at it that way.

I posted on the earlier thread about checking out the DIY forum to see how divers respond to a need to "engineer" a device or solution to a need in diving. Perhaps what sticks in my mind is a comment made on a liveaboard science cruise. I had made my own underwater housing for a typical camcorder. I used readily available PVC, acrylic, o-rings, and aluminum, and I used magnetic switches to actuate the camera without the need for drilling more holes in the housing. A fellow on board watched me assemble my video gear and prepare to take it under. He remarked, "That's pretty impressive. Are you an engineer?" I told him I wasn't, but that I taught physics and "pre-engineering" fundamentals on the high school level. He replied, "Well, I AM an engineer, and I'm still impressed."

It was one of the best compliments I can remember (on the professional level, anyway).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom