Engraving plate for identification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BEM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi Tobin,

Well I finally got a chance to check out my new BPW in the pool. I got the medium SS plate, Hogarthian harness and 30# LCD wing. It is well designed and looks very rugged – time will tell.

Putting it together was fairly easy – just followed the instructions on DDS’ web site. Adjustments are pretty easy and I reduced the weight required by 3 # from my old BC.

I have a question:

I have my equipment marked in case of loss, theft or quickly ID on dive boats. Can I engrave the plate (using a small commercial engraving pen) without doing any damage to it? I read that when stainless steel is scratched, passivation occurs where the chromium III oxide will form when it is exposed to oxygen, depending on the %, by weight, of chromium in the steel (minimum 13% to 26% for harsh environments)

Hi Tobin,

Well I finally got a chance to check out my new BPW in the pool. I got the medium SS plate, Hogarthian harness and 30# LCD wing. It is well designed and looks very rugged – time will tell.

Putting it together was fairly easy – just followed the instructions on DDS’ web site. Adjustments are pretty easy and I reduced the weight required by 3 # from my old BC.

I have a question:

I have my equipment marked in case of loss, theft or quickly ID on dive boats. Can I engrave the plate (using a small commercial engraving pen) without doing any damage to it? I read that when stainless steel is scratched, passivation occurs where the chromium III oxide will form when it is exposed to oxygen, depending on the %, by weight, of chromium in the steel (minimum 13% to 26% for harsh environments)

If your engraving pen uses a steel tip (and it likely does) there is some chance that you may transfer "free iron" to the surface of the backplate. The goal of passivation is to remove any free iron in the surface of the part, as free iron can act as the starting point for corrosion.

You can "re-passivate" your plate by soaking it in a little Coke, over night should do it.

Tobin

No coke, pepsi!

Sorry couldn't resist... One of my favorite Saturday Night Live skits.

There is Coke, Classic Coke, Zero, Raspberry Coke, Lime Coke, New Coke, Diet Coke, Cherry Coke, Vanilla Coke, C2, M5 and others....

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom