Enhancement of this Picture

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PapaBob

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
The following is a picture I am working on which was taken of me at a shark dive in Walkers Cay Bahamas. I scanned the print and want to work on enhancing it. Any suggestions regarding enhancement in Photoshop are welcome.

---Bob
Shark_Bob.jpg

Without getting too deep into Photoshop, you can always try the "auto contrast" followed by "auto levels" for some instant improvement with most photos. Sometimes the auto features overdue it, but it until you get more comfortable with the various PShop options, it will get you going.

I ran the auto contrast/levels as well as a little "color balance"...less than 1 min of tweaking...to give you an idea.

SharkBob_rev.jpg

Here's my attempt. I lightened the pic in Levels, Cloned out some backscatter, added red with channel mixer, selected the shark, sharpened the shark, and blurred the background. I did all this quickly so the shark in the back and the water around him do not look right. I would take more time and blend them for a more natural look.

Shark_Bob_fix.jpg

Hermosadive: Thanks for the effort. I am amazed at how often the automatic adjustments (which are often denigrated as "beginners tools") can produce pleasing results. I confess, I dont use autocontrast all that much and prefer to apply contrast adjustments manually in curves.

Yoda: You are right, this image takes time. I thought it was worth the effort.

I divided the image into four layer sets, background, foreground, diver and shark. The layer sets were blended with layer masks. I then tried individual adjusments on layers within each set to produce the following.

Shark_Bob_Mod.jpg

My adjustments were done on blend layers and adjustment layers so I can go back and tweak them (saved in PSD file). Anything you like or dont like for further tweaks?

---Bob

Looks good to me Bob

QUestion for you PS guys. HOw do you seperate the fore ground, back, shark, and diver?

I have tried to use the magnetic lasso tool to do this but it always looks like crap.

What is the best way to isolate a certain subject in the photo?

Ed note: Not that i would want to do this sort of thing as that is cheating and my wonderful photos would never need such work... :wink:
Just so that i know how in case someone asks me

Mike:

I would take your "out of the camera" shots over my digital reworks any day of the week! To answer your specific question, I do not use the magnetic lasso tool for selections in most UW photos. Because water is a natural diffuser, you rarely have sharp edges the lasso tool will pick up accurately regardless of the edge contrast or frequency setting for the tool. This gives you that crappy cut out (or halo) look you don't like.

My favorite method is to work each portion of the picture in a different layer (or layer set) and use a mask to allow that portion of the picture to “shine through” to the visible image. If I want to adjust the mask I can do so by painting in it (black to block and white to highlight -ie let the image show). If my selection is crappy I can fix it in the layer mask.

I like the quickmask tool which can be converted to a selection and used to generate the basic mask. I find I have more control painting my selection (but that is just me).

You can lasso the subject if you want, convert the selection to a mask in quickmask mode, and do some fine touches by painting. You can then reconvert the mask to a selection by clicking the other quickmask button.

Give me a little time and I will work up some screen shots to illustrate.

—Bob

Mask? Layer mask? Quick mask? Multiple layers?

No idea what you are talking about.....
Guess i'll wait for your screen shots so at least i know what it is you do...Photoshop magic!

But thanks for the compliment on out of the camera shots...

ScubaBOBuba:
... Anything you like or dont like for further tweaks?...
The fish behind your leg looks a little out of place. It seems close to you but also looks far away because it is a lighter shade than you. I would be tempted to clone it out.

Mike Veitch:
...I have tried to use the magnetic lasso tool to do this but it always looks like crap...
The best thing I've been told about selecting something like the shark is to stay just inside the shark's outline. If you get outside, into the water, you start making the line more visible. I used the magnetic lasso on my version. It was hard to make the line go where I wanted in some places - the top of the nose and pec fin never did make it into my selection. I sometimes start with the color selector and grow the area. I think these are good for a quick start but for real work layers is probably the way to go. I'm waiting on a good tutorial so I can stop fumbling through the layers thing.

Mike:

Working on the screen shots. Will post them this weekend

Yoda:

Great idea on the fish. Will remove him and see what it looks like.

---Bob

Back
Top Bottom