Enjoy coral reefs while you can!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts:
The Keys will have no septic tanks or cesspits by 2010, plenty of shovels are in the ground, we are paying out of the nose for it here but its worth it.

What do they plan on doing with the waste?

I just got back for Pompano Beach in Florida. The reef was amazing, and its sad to think that oneday people wont be able to enjoy the beauty of it. In some springs ive been to here in Florida, green slime covers the pretty rocky features of the cavern. My dad started diving in the 80's and he said that there was rarely ever any slime. And its all because of the fertilizers and things like that used for crops, getting into the aquafer, and it makes that slime grow so fast.

There is a movie called "Water's Journey; The hidden rivers of Florida" Its a good movie, and it shows divers, who go into the Florida Aquifer and find all kinds of things that people throw into sinks, and they end up there. In our drinking water! The 2 producers are, Wes Skiles and Jill Heinerth. Jill certified my dad, in cave diving. Its a good movie, and very interesting. should watch it if you ever get a chance.

FIA-Sparki:
The picture of the sewage is pretty morbid to say the least.

Why don't they impose stricter sewage treatment processes? Or is it going to cost too much? If it is based on $$$, my only question is, "How do you put a price on the earths ecosystem?".

Too bad we can't have a world wide cleanup day.

I like the fact that we seem to think we are not a part of the ecosystem and can monkey around at will with no ill effect!:shakehead

I must say guys and girls. This is a subject that I am deeply torn over. I am by all rights a Capitalist Pig. I freely admit to it and until I started diving would have never given a second thought to being any different. That being said this kind of stuff kills me. I find myself very concerned about the future of our oceans. At this point I see no reasonable way to fix these problems. I would be all for any other way to get rid of waste and run my automobile. Please teach me here. Now don't send me a bunch of crazy sell off my house and cars,quit my job and live in the woods stuff but I would love a reasonable alternative. If someone can give me one I will jump on the bandwagon with everything I have. I just haven't seen one.

bruehlt:
What do they plan on doing with the waste?

Try going to the Key largo wastewater website, I think they have a detailed description of the process

I have mixed thoughts on this too. I dont believe that anyone can say they've been 'green' all their lives. Regardless, personally making a concious effort to assist is good but in the scheme of things, it's an extremly small percentage to make a noticeable difference.

What can be done? Like "git-r-dun diver", i believe there isn't yet a definitive process in place that will dramatically reduce or even cure this problem. I have thoughts that although scientists and biologists all over are presenting hard factual evidence to governments, they appear to not be taking much concern. Why...?

...and bear with me while i state my theory...

I think many of the most influential goverments in this world either refuse to believe it's creeping up on us faster than they want to realise, or that they are reluctant to put so much money forward to invest in this type of preservation.

Without enhancing political issues, i do believe that not half of what COULD be done is being done.

This is why I love the internet - sooo much information that wasn't available before. Thanks for the google video!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom