Enough Instruction???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey I'll do my best to get there Walter. You wouldn't have to twist my arm too hard to get to Catalina or the Channel Islands. I'll be sure to look you up if I ever make it to Florida!

-kate

Kate,

If you make the trip to Florida, let me know far enough in advance to plan out some great diving for you. There are a lot of different types of diving available here, we'll get you involved in as many types as you have an interest in.

WWW™

We have heard about a "bad apple" instructor out there then let me tell you about two good teachers I had. First of all I took all my classroom and confined water dives in kansas and as there are no really good waters around for certification purposes we have to travel. Well I had a trip to califonia comming up and decided to to my open water dives out there through padi's referal program.
Now first instructor went through all the skills and even even worked with me as I had some issues to deal with(my wet suit got confused for someone elses so i had one a little small)but all in all i rate him as excellent he worked with all of us that needed it (class size if i remember correctly was about 6). So I felt confident going to my open water dives.
when i got to the dive shop i was going to take my open water dives from they owner was a little hesitant about taking me straight to the open water and i stated i had no problem going to another pool dive to review skills with the instructor. heck gave me a chance to work on skills and blow bubbles and boy am i glad i did. I had a couple of problems in the water (nothing major but forgot a couple of little things and made the skills harder then they had to be like removing weightbelt) all in all was a good experiance for me. when we got to the open water he was gave me a very thourough briefing on what we were gonna do and followed his cue cards to the letter. I even had a mask problem underwater in which i removed it and replaced it and he still made me do the skill again as it was required and he had not initiated it. but again i didn't mind i have a mustache so i got used to clearing my mask right away. all in all i feel confident that i have been taught all the skills i need to dive safely and be a good buddy for any diver out there.
For all you true profesionals out there that take the time to do it right thank you. To those that don't the person you taught might just be your buddy on your next dive. hope your life don't depend on him.

That sounds great rem308, we love hearing stories like that, because that's how it's supposed to be. Congrats!

to a few questions raised,

The establishment thru which I received the certification seems to be running the OW course on a set schedule. Theory on Saturday, pool "training" the following Wednesday, OW dives on Sat & Sun. The next class begins the following Saturday. So, yes, you could deem this as a sort of "mill". Many would say they are more interesting in the turnover than in their dedication to the dive community. $$$$$$$$

Secondly, the drills which I identified we did not complete were specifically identified in the current "Go Dive" OW book from PADI. As I had read the book twice (once before beginning the classes, the second between the theory and OW dives), I was well aware that we did not do some of the drills. When the question came up as to what drills were missed, I went back to the manual and listed them directly.

I agree that some of the drills can be combined, and performed without a student's realizing that they are being done. However, to completely remove your BC and/or weight belt (if not integrated) while sitting in at least 8' of water is pretty hard not to miss.

I agree with the reply that when you are diving with a previously unknown buddy, you expect that person to have completed all the required skills. Anything less lends you to unknown risks. Personally, I feel I have completed those missed drills. I've done them several times in my own pool, and feel quite confident to be able to: first, not panic and be level-headed enough to remember them, and second, to be able to actually perform them if the need arises (or my dive buddy).

Granted, those who took the class with me could be in some serious situations if they got tangled up in a fish net, discarded tow rope, etc. And, unfortunately in one respect, our area of Florida has warm clear water and a lot to see in less than 30'. This in itself tends to make one drop their "guard".

I'm still pondering the situation. I'm thinking of having a real heart-to-heart with the instructor. Maybe that would be all that is needed to get his students the required training. We'll see......

Pinecrest,

This guy is dangerous! He needs a real wakeup call from PADI in my opinion.

Without going into all the painful details, let me say that my instructor had the PADI book right in front of us (two in my "class") and we checked every single box! And he was not satisfied to see us do a drill once. If we did not do it "perfectly", back we went.

I took all of my instruction in the Virgin Is. and it took a full week. We practised every drill in the pool and did them again in the ocean--including removing and redoning gear.

I will tell you that I sure appreciated all that persistance when on a dive after cert that I had my reg kicked out of my mouth. Because of all those drills, I calmly reached back, hooked it, cleared it and stuck it back in my mouth--I even remembered to blow little bubbles out of my mouth while fishing for the reg. There is just no subsitute for practice! Thank you, Frank Vince! (my great instructor)

I have dived with a person who did such things as hold up his alternate air and ask, "What is this for?" Now I know who might have been his instructor!

THIS GUY IS A MENACE AND NEEDS TO BE TAKEN TO TASK!

Joewr (the Incredulous)

I guess we all feel different levels of responsibility for our own actions or inactions.

"Theory on Saturday, pool "training" the following Wednesday, OW dives on Sat & Sun. The next class begins the following Saturday. So, yes, you could deem this as a sort of "mill". Many would say they are more interesting in the turnover than in their dedication to the dive community."

This is a class designed to be poor. This schedule can not produce adequately trained divers.

"I agree with the reply that when you are diving with a previously unknown buddy, you expect that person to have completed all the required skills. Anything less lends you to unknown risks."

Then you should DO something about it. Report it to PADI NOW!!!

"I'm still pondering the situation."

What will it take to get you to stop pondering and do something about it? A death?

"I'm thinking of having a real heart-to-heart with the instructor. Maybe that would be all that is needed to get his students the required training."

Wake up and smell the coffee. He'll do one of two things, agree to change to shut you up, then ignore it because quite frankly, you'll never follow up. or try to convince you that your class was an exception and it's never happened before nor will it ever happen again. Your "heart-to-heart" will be useless.

What shop is this?

WWW™

Originally posted by Walter
Kate,

If you make the trip to Florida, let me know far enough in advance to plan out some great diving for you. There are a lot of different types of diving available here, we'll get you involved in as many types as you have an interest in.

WWW™

Sounds great Walter, will do! (after my Fall trip to BC and Spring trip to Asia).

-kate

Standards have been violated if this is a PADI course. You should have had 5 modules in the pool. Module 3 alone should take nearly 1 hour. I have been instructing and assisting for years and we typically book to pool for 1 hr.per module and in some cases this is not long enough if there are slow learners
Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom