Entanglement Experiences: Especially Both Hands/Arms.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim T.

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Before the last site upgrade we had a great discussion going here about how you all have dealt with entanglements while diving solo. Some great responses and tips.

Just as the thread vanished, we had started
discussing whether anyone had gotten themselves out of an entanglment that involved both arms/hands. (Nets-maybe?)

Just wondering if anyone's got some interesting tips/experiences to
share.

Thanks.

Got the flag line wrapped around my first stage regulator. Ended up removing BC at depth. Took me atleast 5 minutes to get that BC back on. I was buoyant, it was not. This was back when I had around 10 dives. Quite a fun challenge at that time.

I was spearfishing in 105' and shot a big American Red Snapper. I use a line shaft and shot the fish about an inch too far back to stone him. The fish ran right past my head and wrapped the line around the first stage of my primary and pony. It was jerking around behind my back so I had to take off my bc and untangle it. Like all4scuba it is a major pain to do because I was way positive. But I managed to get it back on and still get the snapper.

Thanks for the replies. An entanglement/solo thread seemed to have been something that I at first was afraid would be perceived as a stupid idea...(by the publically macho) but many divers (before the site re-do) found a welcome place to relate their stories/experiences as it's hard enough to even discuss solo diving
with most people as it is.

A "confessional" of sorts? :)

What to do, I wonder, if both hands were unavailable? Maybe some metal jaws like the Bond villian :)

Had a wonderful 1:45 solo dive yesterday in an area I know very well. Did constant light sweeps to hopefully catch the glint of any fishing line, etc. but none to be found.
Worked on my buoyancy skills in a nice meditative "zone".

In the former thread someone recommended fire fighter sites that were very
useful. Try a search. I've got to do the same as I didn't save the links.

I wasn't diving solo, but the worst Ive been tied up was while taking a GUE Fundies class. The instructor told me to "hold" then grabbed the ascent line right in front of me and tied up all my valves....I was afraid he was going to add my feet to the big knot...

Before anyone accuses me of bashing solo diving, I dive solo. In the Pacific Northwest.

Where the Indian tribes have treaty rights to fish using gill nets.

These days I'm much more observant than I ever was before of where the Indian dudes are placing their gillnets. Historically, also...e.g. from year to year.

I once saw this guy swimming with a camera after he hit a gill net.....

(From the thread below...)

"A gill-net is like a malevolent living thing. It can be large - think 15-20' top to bottom, perhaps 70'-100' long. It is invisible. It moves and swirls around to the slightest impulse. Like a bedsheet or curtain hanging vertically. A diver entangled in any portion of it will very quickly be entangled in a larger portion of it. It tends to envelop whatever strikes it and wrap around it, seizing the object/diver at any and all points where net meets valve/zipper/buckle/mask/etc.

I've witnessed a situation where a diver hit one and simultaneously had his mask ripped off, reg ripped out, his right armed pinned to his body, and both legs wrapped up, in a few seconds. He was an instructor. Two DMs tried to cut him out and both became entangled. Another instructor came up from beneath this CF and cut out the two DMs, and then all three of them did the Ginsu on the gillnet to free the other diver.

Gillnets are a freaking nightmare.

And Bear is right. Gillnets laugh at knives. It requires shears to beat gillnets. A solo diver doesn't stand much of a chance if they run headlong into a gillnet."

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/67060-can-i-really-cut-myself-out.html

The reason knives suck is that the gillnet stretches. The more you try to cut it with knife the tighter it curls around you. You need to be able to cut it without putting any pressure on it - hence the need for shears. The guy I saw was solo diving with the camera, filming students. The class went in. He stayed out to get some additional footage. Hit the net. Stayed there. Only reason he survived, oddly enough, is due to an Air II. He could move his left arm just far enough to put his Air II in his mouth. No mask, but he could breath. He waited for help, but no one came. He inflated his BC enough to get him pretty close to the surface dragging the whole net up, and he could boost himself up, yell for help, sink down, boost himself up, yell for help again, sink back down, etc. After 4 or 5 yells he got the attention of the class on the beach, and the rest is history.

But if there hadn't been a class on the beach the story could have had a different ending. Keep a sharp eye out for gill nets if you're solo diving in the PNW.

Solo divers who hit gill nets have issues...

We do not have gillnet here but rope from lost and set lobster traps littering the bottom. The best cutting devise I have found are emt shears, they are cheap and sharp. I have not been paying close attention while using my camera and wind up with rope wrap around my gear (lucky not life threating) or around my prop and the shears work great. Lobstermen probably Bulls**t about their traps, but such is life. I tie the lost ones up so the next time they can retrieve them.

... gill nets.

These days I'm much more observant than I ever was before of where the Indian dudes are placing their gillnets. Historically, also...e.g. from year to year.

I once saw this guy swimming with a camera after he hit a gill net.....
Solo divers who hit gill nets have issues...
And there is, of course, the weighting issue I've raised often enough, if you have to remove your rig.

I got the dive flag line tied around me and the valve recently and then somehow it got tied around a submerged tree which when it pulled taut would not allow me to move or surface. After fooling around with it and making no head way I swam back down and pulled it free of the tree limb at which point it got around my legs. I did not want to cut my line so I somehow got it off of me enogh to surface as I rolled up what I could, ho hum, no big deal. If it had made me extra aggravated I would have sliced it up but a good line is hard to come by.

My main entanglement hazard other than my dive flag has been monofiliment. I think that stuff needs to be banned as an environmental hazard to men, fowl and fish. I hate that stuff. Worse it often comes with hooks and stuff like that on it which then stick into you and your wet suit. Most aggravating that is and since I hate tetnus shots it makes it double aggravated.

As to a doff and don, I use a weight belt, this prevents me from being bouyant should I need to remove my gear to untangle it. I imagine they have all of these fancy solo diver courses but because everything is so PC, your OK, I am OK these days I supose nobody would stand their ground and just flat say that a weight belt independent of your rig should be a requirment for the solo diver.

Doc Intrepid, not to pick on your complicated and bulky DIR rig but with those valves sticking out like wings it would appear that such an unstreamlined rig would be especially tangle prone in those gill nets. Yep.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom