Enterprise Channel (Victoria) again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
I tried for Enterprise Channel today, but even though I was diving just before slack, the current was way too nuts to bother with swimming out to the good stuff. I had to stay around the little bay by the entry point. Usually this is my "haven" from the current, but today, even here I was being swirled around. Vis was only around 10 feet max. After I left the water (around the time when the current should have been at Slack), the current in the Channel looked worse than ever. There was even a bit of a whirlpool swirling in the bay. From now on I'll only come here on days when there is not much current for at least a couple of hours. More cheesy-flashlight self portraits:

I came back this morning. There were a few hours with almost no current according to the tables. Sure enough, I didn't feel much. This is only maybe the 3rd time I've actually been able to explore here without hanging onto kelp. Vis was around 20-25 feet (about as good as it gets here) and it was nice and bright underwater. Here are a few reasons why this is one of my favorite dives:

Uncle Pug:
Great pics as usual, Swank. But... the pipe diving... yech.

Tell us again how you take the pictures of yourself.
Thanks. I put the camera near the pipe and wait for something fairly solid to float by and trip the shutter. When I'm not near the pipe I have the knob on my old Minolta SLR set to the timer setting which delays the shutter release about 8 seconds. I set the camera down on the sand/gravel or on a bare rock (not easy to find bare rock in Enterprise Channel) and pointing in the direction I want. I then push the lever and swim like mad to get in the picture. Once I set the knob to the timer feature and seal it up in the housing, it's stuck like that for the rest of the dive (like reeealy slow digital shutter lag). If I want to take a picture of a sea lion or something that won't stay still, I'm screwed.

I put the camera near the pipe and wait for something fairly solid to float by and trip the shutter.
I really don't want to know what kind of solids you are talking about in connection with the pipe... but do you mean that you wait for something solid to depress your shutter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom