Enterprise Channel (Victoria) again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went again today. The current was supposed to be nonexistent for a few hours. The max was supposed to be 0.2 knots at around 10:30. I went in at around 10:30, but the current was too strong to swim against and the ocean spit me out again. One of these days I'm going to loose it and run down Beach Drive in my drysuit screaming.

swankenstein:
I went again today. The current was supposed to be nonexistent for a few hours. The max was supposed to be 0.2 knots at around 10:30. I went in at around 10:30, but the current was too strong to swim against and the ocean spit me out again. One of these days I'm going to loose it and run down Beach Drive in my drysuit screaming.

Now that would be funny to see, We had a great dive at Ten Mile today. The slack was at least 2 hours the viz wasn't great but it still rock. Too bad you decided to dive the crazy channel.:wink: instead of coming with us.

swankenstein:
I think next time, seriously, I'm going to go in near maximum current and see how it is then.
Very strange, it looked like it should be good, but 10 mile is around the corner and in a bit of a backeddy on a flood, and enterprise runs the same way as the strait, so it must be the flow of the tide. Today the tide dropped all day in Victoria. I was going to try enterprise today but it didn't happen, maybe just as well. Just checked the tide tables for Victoria.The tide in Victoria is a flat line tomorrow from about 8:30 to 11. If my theory is correct, There should be no current in enterprise channel for a couple of hours tomorrow. Are you game for another try?

naclydogg:
Very strange, it looked like it should be good, but 10 mile is around the corner and in a bit of a backeddy on a flood, and enterprise runs the same way as the strait, so it must be the flow of the tide. Today the tide dropped all day in Victoria. I was going to try enterprise today but it didn't happen, maybe just as well. Just checked the tide tables for Victoria.The tide in Victoria is a flat line tomorrow from about 8:30 to 11. If my theory is correct, There should be no current in enterprise channel for a couple of hours tomorrow. Are you game for another try?
I see what you mean. The currents look similar for both Saturday and Sunday, but the tides look totally different. Maybe next time I'll try the tide table instead of the current table. I did find a current table correction for Trial Island based on Admiralty Inlet in Puget Sound of all places. The problem is the Lat/Long coordinates are for 7 miles or so away from Trial Island on top of Constance Bank. When I did the math for the correction, it still made no sense. When I went in, it said there shouldn't have been any current. I think the tide table idea sounds the best right now. Unfortunately I can't try it today.

I drove by there to see what the current was doing at around 11:30 and it was obviously moving, so I guess the Victoria Tide Table isn't the magic password. Naclydogg (I think) was also there checking out the current, but he said he'd been there for quite a while and there was no sign of slack. -Let me know if you ever went in. I think I might try the Juan De Fuca East current table. It's a couple of hours different from the ones I've been trying.

swankenstein:
I drove by there to see what the current was doing at around 11:30 and it was obviously moving, so I guess the Victoria Tide Table isn't the magic password. Naclydogg (I think) was also there checking out the current, but he said he'd been there for quite a while and there was no sign of slack. -Let me know if you ever went in. I think I might try the Juan De Fuca East current table. It's a couple of hours different from the ones I've been trying.
So much for that theory. I stayed for a while longer and then went back about 12:30. The wind had picked up, but it looked like the current was still going the same way. I looked at the tide tables for Clover Point for today ( the victoria tables showed no rise or fall) and there was a bit of a rise from 8:30 to 12:30, but it still generated quite a bit of current in the passage. I think it was April 7th that you said that there was no current. I'll attach the tidal profile for April 7, and also the race passage current table. If you remember what time you dove, maybe another day with the same profile will be current free. If that dosen't work, maybe you will have to book some time up at the observatory.

I think it was between 10:00 and 11:00. The profile looks almost the same as the one for yesterday, but it's true, I didn't feel any current that time (Apr. 7). I'm starting to feel like a current geek. I wonder if all this hurts anyone else's head or if it's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom