Enterprise Channel (Victoria) again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went in today about 2 hours before the Race Passage slack ( I went in at around 10:00). According to the "Current Atlas", this was slack at Enterprise Channel. Of course there was lots of current. I made it out halfway along the "sewer pipe" reef (on the side "shadowed" from most of the current), before my brain kicked in and I swam back. Just for fun, I went over the top of the reef to see how strong the current was on the exposed side. It felt like a hurricane hitting my face. It was way stronger than at drift dives I have done at Race Rocks. When I left the water, the current was way stronger than when I went in. During the "Race Passage" slack, it was ripping like crazy. Here's some frame-grabs from the video (Visibility was only around 15 feet, but I got some nice footage of the kelp flapping in the current on top of the reef).

I've found that slack here isn't random after all because I went in at random today and it wasn't slack. I was testing out a new strobe (only from the 1980's!) and a video light cannister (no leaks!). The current was too strong to go out very far so I hid behind a few boulders and took some macro pictures. There is so much variety, it took me a few minutes to notice even half the creatures in a square-foot area. Visibility wasn't very good (10-15 feet) and I kept seeing these huge blobs shooting out of the murk towrds me. I kept thinking they were sealions, but they were just masses of bull kelp. Now I realise why there isn't lot of bull kelp on top of this reef. When it gets too big, it gets ripped away. I saw some kelp attatched to a rock the size of a basketball. The rock was being dragged along the sand by the current. Of course the attatched kelp made the rock much more bouyant, but it still looked impressive. The photos:

swankenstein:
I've found that slack here isn't random after all because I went in at random today and it wasn't slack. I was testing out a new strobe (only from the 1980's!) and a video light cannister (no leaks!). The current was too strong to go out very far so I hid behind a few boulders and took some macro pictures. There is so much variety, it took me a few minutes to notice even half the creatures in a square-foot area. Visibility wasn't very good (10-15 feet) and I kept seeing these huge blobs shooting out of the murk towrds me. I kept thinking they were sealions, but they were just masses of bull kelp. Now I realise why there isn't lot of bull kelp on top of this reef. When it gets too big, it gets ripped away. I saw some kelp attatched to a rock the size of a basketball. The rock was being dragged along the sand by the current. Of course the attatched kelp made the rock much more bouyant, but it still looked impressive. The photos:

Okay here we go again. Using the current profile from the day in April that you said you dove with no current, it looks like this Saturday at about 9 am or just a little later is close to the same profile.

The strobe makes a huge difference. Lots more colour. Tried out my camera exactly once without the strobe. Don't always use it, but rarely do I wish that I had left it behind.

This looks like a spot that might be worth all the trouble if you ever get it figured out.

Darnold9999:
The strobe makes a huge difference. Lots more colour. Tried out my camera exactly once without the strobe. Don't always use it, but rarely do I wish that I had left it behind.

This looks like a spot that might be worth all the trouble if you ever get it figured out.
The problem with my last strobe was that it wasn't very bright (homemade) so I had to use 400-speed film (the macro extension tubes on my Nikonos 3 reduce the light by a few stops). If I wanted to do enlargements they were pretty grainy. Now I can use 100-speed film.

swankenstein:
The problem with my last strobe was that it wasn't very bright (homemade) so I had to use 400-speed film (the macro extension tubes on my Nikonos 3 reduce the light by a few stops). If I wanted to do enlargements they were pretty grainy. Now I can use 100-speed film.

Did you get your "new" strobe and value village?

I'd like to get a strobe someday, but they are too $$$ for me. If you ever spot a good deal, let me know...

Oh yeah, I'm planning on going to Thailand for nearly 3 months, in 3 months. Shouldn't need a strobe in the shallows there though, eh? Sweeet... A macro lense would be nice though.

- ChillyWaters

ChillyWaters:
Did you get your "new" strobe and value village?

- ChillyWaters
No, but the flash in my homemade strobe came from there. My "new one is from Ebay. It's an Ikelite substrobe something-or-other. It came with the power pack adapter so I can use the same strobe with my Ikelite housing and my Nikonos 3 on the same dive. It was around $100 which is around 10 times what I normally like to pay, but I guess we're all slaves to the consumer system.

Back
Top Bottom