entry level cavern primary dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mariner11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,
I am going to be heading down to the cenotes for a sidemount training and cavern training course . Need to take a primary and a secondary dive light. SInce Im just starting I wanted to start with something cheaper to begin with before commiting to higher priced canister lights.
having read some of the threads on the forums, I was thinking between the Dive right LX-20+ and the Bigblue TL5200P. both are in the 500$ range.
1. I would think for beginning cavern diving training something like this would be enough ?
2. regardless of listed lumens and wattage, overestimate /underestimate, real world performance wise which one would you choose
3. Any other suggestions in the 500$ range
4. Any suggestions for a secondary backup light would be welcome

Thanks in advance for all the help

G

If you’re just going to be doing cavern for now, check out the Dive Rite CX2. Get the hard goodman or soft glove (your choice) and the QRM striker for the light and it’s an affordable primary. About $160ish for just the light. It can be a backup later. I have two for my backup lights. You might consider getting two now.

Plenty bright for a cavern light. The LX20+ is good enough for intro level dives and shorter full level dives. I used a LX20 for a year until I recently got a can light.

When I was just getting started I bought a used HID canister light for about $400, and I would guess such lights are going for less money every day. Still great lights. Come to think of it, I still have that light.

You might find this recent thread informative.

Even in cavern you are supposed to have 2 lights. I did quite a bit of training with a 1000 lumen light on a hand mount as my primary. Such a light can be picked up new for $50-$100

Reactions: kHz
I would look to the Dive Rite CX2 for a primary cavern light. They are quite bright and offer plenty of burn time for cavern / intro dives.
You don't need to spend $500 for a decent amount of light these days.
But since you asked between those two, the LX20 is leaps and bounds better quality than the big blue.

For the cave course which I plan to take in Kate summer / early fall according to their paperwork they seem to require a can light , so perhaps for now I’ll get 2 cx2s as both primary and back up and save some money to spring for the can light. (Spend once /cry once and all that )

I don't know when they will come back in stock but I love my deep6 can light.

Hello all,
I am going to be heading down to the cenotes for a sidemount training and cavern training course . Need to take a primary and a secondary dive light. SInce Im just starting I wanted to start with something cheaper to begin with before commiting to higher priced canister lights.
having read some of the threads on the forums, I was thinking between the Dive right LX-20+ and the Bigblue TL5200P. both are in the 500$ range.
1. I would think for beginning cavern diving training something like this would be enough ?
2. regardless of listed lumens and wattage, overestimate /underestimate, real world performance wise which one would you choose
3. Any other suggestions in the 500$ range
4. Any suggestions for a secondary backup light would be welcome

Thanks in advance for all the help

G
There is no comparison between the two, get the Dive Rite.

1. The LX20+ is more than expedition level cave divers had 15 years ago and is still a VERY bright light. Hell, I used it on a 5hr cave dive a few weeks ago at 150+ft. It's good.
2. LX20+, it does what it says it will do.
3. not really
4. @OrcaTorch D530 is really good, I love mine. Cave Adventurers Expedition is really good though doesn't like to stay tucked on harness pockets because it doesn't have a flared head which is perfect for a mask light or pocket but not so much for the harness. Dive Rite BX2/CX2 are both really good backup lights, and the DGX600's are super cheap so it's kind of hard to beat those.

Dive Rite BX2/CX2 are both really good backup lights, and the DGX600's are super cheap so it's kind of hard to beat those.
One note on the BX2, it is a nice light, but I hate the sharp edges on it. It cuts through my rubber light keepers. In that size and price, I like the dgx600 more.
The cx2 doesn't have those edges.
I also like the DRIS1000 for backup lights on my harness but they are fairly long, if you have a short torso, they will be tough to store.

Back
Top Bottom