entry level cavern primary dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Dive Rite has a square beam with some strange artifacts in the pattern

IME the square beam is from lights with multiple LEDs on a single reflector, like the Halcyon Focus series. No current Dive Rite lights uses that.

I didn't like the beams of the Dive Rite lights. I was concerned with how they would look on GoPro video footage. I prefer the look of the Big Blue beams. Nice and round with slightly soft edges. Just my opinion. For a cavern dive, carrying a couple of Al1200 or AL1300 should be fine. For something more powerful with longer lasting battery there is the TL3800P-Supreme.
friends don't let friends buy big blue. Said it on here many times, any company that is willfully negligent in the design of their products and knowingly lies about the product specifications is not one that we should support.

The Dive Rite Diffuser works incredibly well with gopros and still leaves you with quick/easy ability to get a spot for cave/cavern diving

I have 4 BigBlue video lights (with a warm white color) and 7 technical lights. I love BigBlue. I also have DiveRite wings and regulators and reels. Everyone has opinions.

I have 4 BigBlue video lights (with a warm white color) and 7 technical lights. I love BigBlue. I also have DiveRite wings and regulators and reels. Everyone has opinions.
as long as you are OK with none of them doing anything close to what they claim to do and are OK with them being negligent in their design process in direct violation of UN battery standards and almost killing a diver due to that negligence, then to each their own. It is a such a shame as the lights themselves are actually pretty good, but the company behind them is horrid

Reactions: OTF
as long as you are OK with none of them doing anything close to what they claim to do
like pretty much ALL light manufacturers....
and are OK with them being negligent in their design process in direct violation of UN battery standards
Yet, you are OK with US cylinders and valves not meeting UN standards?
almost killing a diver due to that negligence
You've said this a number of times. Is this just an allegation, or is it a matter of settled, legal fact?

like pretty much ALL light manufacturers....

Yet, you are OK with US cylinders and valves not meeting UN standards?

You've said this a number of times. Is this just an allegation, or is it a matter of settled, legal fact?
Dive Rite is not one of them since it came up, neither is Light & Motion, nor is UWLD, and there are several others. Most of the Asian manufacturers certainly do, but there are reputable light companies out there. Lying about their specifications is mainly a matter annoyance when ignorant divers start blabbing about hour their Big Blue TL4000 is a 4000 lumen light when it is barely a 2000 lumen light and then try to compare that to the US manufacturers and how good of a deal the Big Blue lights are when they're trying to tell you their carrot is really an apple.

We do not have alternate options in the US that meet DOT standards, so not really applicable, especially given that they claimed it was compliant yet it was not.

It is a settled legal fact and is the sole reason they no longer manufacture canister lights. It happened in cave country several years ago and is not a sole event of their battery packs experiencing catastrophic failure though that one was particularly bad and required the diver to undergo many surgeries to repair his leg.
Not this particular incident, but here's one that failed similarly and if it was in a canister it would have exploded and caused similar damage.
1650474208738.png

It is a settled legal fact and is the sole reason they no longer manufacture canister lights.
Can you provide any links to the case?

Unfortunately they settled out of court
Hmm. I think that means you can't say they were legally negligent without putting yourself in jeopardy.
IANAL.

Hmm. I think that means you can't say they were legally negligent without putting yourself in jeopardy.
IANAL.
They knowingly sold lights that were not UN38.3 compliant while stating they were UN38.3 compliant. While they may not have been charged with it, they're Chinese so it wouldn't have mattered anyway since their definition of ethics and legal is a lot more hazy than the rest of the worlds. Either way it is a shady company and while the hardware is good, their batteries are f*cking terrifying, even today. No way would I consider or recommend one using anything other than a single 18650/21700/etc or alkaline batteries. Too risky. See the post above.
Of note, this applies to everyone that doesn't directly have a UN38.3 certificate on their battery packs though which says they have gone through destructive testing and that they're actually safe. With most cheap backup lights I tell people to just throw the chargers in the trash and go get a charger from a reputable company like Nitecore as the chargers are probably more terrifying than the battery packs if they are charging at the wrong voltage and/or don't stop when they're supposed to stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom