Equalizing Ears - Beginner Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If my ears are already unplugged or equalized while sitting around, how am I supposed to tell that my ears are popping or clearing?

You will feel/hear the canals opening.

A little hard to know what you are going for until you have done it underwater, so don't get ahead of yourself.

Last edited:
If you feel pressure as you descend STOP. Do not wait until it hurts. If you can't equalize gently at the depth you are at you need to get shallower until you can. If you still can't equalize then don't try to force it, that leads to injuries. There will always be another day to dive.

I am taking a discover scuba class soon and if that goes well, will take my OW certification class.

My biggest concern is being able to equalize my ears at depth. I've experienced pain in my ears before when trying to go to the bottom of the pool in a diving pool. Granted, I didn't know what I was doing and just went straight down, but it has me with a bit of a mental block with my ears.

I also don't think I have luck clearing my ears by holding my nose and blowing. Maybe it's because I waited too long, but that method tends to hurt my ears.

Now, I have no problems on planes. I just chew gum and swallowing or yawning tends to unplug my ears easily.

Any suggestions on what to try when I go on my discover course? And what do people mean when they say practice at home? Holding my nose and blowing doesn't seem to do anything at all.... so I'm not sure what is supposed to happen I'm practicing that.

Thanks!
I presume your discover scuba class is in a pool? Same experience as swimming to the bottom of the pool. You just get to stay there longer. Clearing your ears means equalizing the pressure on both sides of your tympanic membrane (i.e., ear drum). The pool is at 1 ATM. So is your home, so there is no pressure difference which is why holding your nose and blowing (valsalva method) does nothing. Every 33 ft there is an additional one. Clearing your ears is a continual thing you will have to do every 33 ft or less. If you have no cold, eardrum, or sinus related problems you are lucky and ready to go.

In my pre-OW snorkeling years I may have gotten 8 feet deep at most before ear pain. Usually more like 6 feet, I think.

Clearing your ears is a continual thing you will have to do every 33 ft or less. If you have no cold, eardrum, or sinus related problems you are lucky and ready to go.

How about every 2 feet or less down to about 40-60'. If you go past ~6 feet and have not cleared at all (there may be some pressure 'leakage' you are not aware of) you have a fair chance of blowing your ears out attempting clearing. It takes a lot of pressure to open up the Eustachian canals under that much pressure.

Last edited:
I find it helpful to equalize BEFORE descending
I've heard people advise this. How does it help, since you're already equalised on the surface?

I've heard people advise this. How does it help, since you're already equalised on the surface?

A positive pressure Valsalva maneuver will actually increase the pressure in the inner ear above ambient if you maintain that pressure as you descend.
Clear, relax, wait a bit before descending....then you gain no real benefit, except maybe knowing that you are ready and able.

It's possible to apply positive pressure, maintain it, and keep the Eustachian tube open continuously. You can descend like crazy if you learn how to do this technique and fully trust your ability. How do you think the weighted free divers do it? They descend hundreds of feet in a very short time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom