Equipment problem??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mobility

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Yesterday I was diving with four buddies. It was our first dive of the day and we did a boat entry into 75 degree water. It was a drift dive and we descended to a ledge at 100 ft; it is a cliff that very sharply drops to a bottom over 3000 ft deep. By the time the group descended to the cliff at 100 ft we had been swept into the deep by a swift current. We all swarm smartly back to the cliff and we started our dive swimming parallel with the ledge. Visibility was spectacular and life was abundant, a few big sharks, beautiful coral and some big game fish. Anyway, about 20 minutes in, I saw a very large fish and quickly followed it past the ledge. The fish was moving very quickly and I was really pumping to keep up. I was very aware of my depth at all times, constantly checking my wrist computer. When I reached 128 ft the fish stopped in a fissure, I got a great view and thrill. Note whether the fish had stopped or not, 130 ft was the max depth I had set for myself before dive so I had stopped descending anyway. One of my buddies came down for a look while I ascended back to 100 ft. I was now breathing very heavy from my chase and fighting the current. I am in very good physical condition, working out and running most days of the week. While I was watching my buddy while catching my breath, trying to slow my heart rate, I took a gulp of seawater. I tried to inhale one more time but the reg had flooded and I didn't have any air in left in my lungs to try and purge it. Now normally I would have "calmly" reached for my back up reg or reg from my 40 pony tank which I practice routinely. This time however, I grabbed for my back ups with a little more urgency! I could not hold my breath much longer because I was already very winded when I exhaled and I had ingested salt water. I knew i wasn't even close to out of air with 2300 psi left in my steel 100. In a split second of thought, I decided to reach for my pony regulator because I could not take a chance of the same failure, although i realized the chance was slight that my secondary regulator would share the same problem as my primary but they do share some common things including of course the primary tank. So I grabbed the regulator from my pony tank and started to breath while forcing myself not to panic (so key) by relaxing and thinking ( the instinct to shot to the surface was really strong). I worked and my breathing started to return to close to normal and by the time my buddies came over to me, I was able to signal that i was okay, however let's start our ascend. I had my buoyancy perfect and realized how critical that was because I could have descended (or ascended) while I was changing regs and there could have been an issue created when I decided on using my pony tank because it carried a slightly different oxygen mix which lowered my max depth; I was slightly pasted that depth when I initially made the switch (I didn't even consider this at the time). Anyway, I have very new, good equipment that it is checked regularly. My primary regulator worked fine when I tried it again at 15 feet while doing my safety stop. I am having it checked today. One of my buddies who I was diving with at the time said that maybe the large demand for air at the time (remember I was breathing very heavily at the time) caused the diaphragm to malfunction and sea water was able to enter. I learned many lessons including not to over exert myself like that again and it re enforced how important buoyancy control is. I always felt that you couldn't really know how you would react to a really stressful situation until it actually happens (we all hope it heaven does) but practicing our training drills is critical to remaining calm. Any thoughts on what could have caused the flooding regulator would be appreciated. Thanks

You do not identify the specific 2nd stage you were using, but it sounds to me the problem was either diver error or a momentary fouling of the exhaust valve.

Sounds like the exhaust valve may have stuck open, possibly had some debris lodged in it. Did you try the manual purge (purge button)?

If you planned your dive for 130' max, then you should have had gas with a suitable MOD in your pony

Thank you for your post.

I just want to clarify.

It sounds like you had a single, 110 cubic foot steel tank. Is that correct?

You say that your equipment was new. How new?

What kind of second and first stages did you have?

Is there a diaphragm in the second stage?

Thanks again for posting.

Don't forget that when winded, we tend to open our mouths wider to increase the gas exchanges. If you add a touch of narcosis there is also a chance that you could have simply lost your seal with the mouthpiece.

Depth and over exertion can causes simple issues that as you explained are easy to over come but make you go hmmmm.

Answers to your questions

"I just want to clarify.

It sounds like you had a single, 110 cubic foot steel tank. Is that correct?

I had a single 120 and a 40 pony mounted on the side of the 120

What kind of second and first stages did you have?
I have a Atomic aquatics B2 which is all-titanium construction second stage and the first stage with this regulator is a standard chrome-plated Brass body.

You say that your equipment was new. How new?
I purchased this particular standard regulator about 10 months ago and it has seen approx 130 dives since purchased. The normal service interval on my second stage is 2 years/300 dives
Thanks

Don't forget that when winded, we tend to open our mouths wider to increase the gas exchanges. If you add a touch of narcosis there is also a chance that you could have simply lost your seal with the mouthpiece.

Depth and over exertion can causes simple issues that as you explained are easy to over come but make you go hmmmm.
That is a good point and I do consider it a real possibility. I appreciate the feedback

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom