Equipment Question for those more experienced divers/instructors...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My fiancee and I just completed PADI OW a few weeks back. And are definitely hooked for life on diving...

#1 question is: How much should I be looking to spend towards a full set of gear for each of us (BCD, REGs, Computer)?

My reason for asking: Our LDS where we trained at, carries Scubapro exclusively. And is really pushing us to go with Scubapro. (Background: Took OW with them, excellent Instructors, but felt like kind of got ripped on our personal gear (jet fins, booties, crystal view purge masks, and dry snorkels $350 each of us.:shakehead:..)only because I researched the prices online, and was floored that they marked stuff up so high over say LP or Scubatoys)

The "deal" they are offering is Scubapro Pilot BCD, MK25/S600 reg with AIR2, and Aladin Tek2 computer with gauge and compass for the grand total of $1275.00 each.

#2 question: Is this a good deal? Or is Scubapro over rated?

#3 question: What or who would you consider as the 3 top best buys (brands) on equipment in quality and lack of issues and price?

I have done some online research/ as well as on here about equipment. Our plans are to continue furthering into AOW, Nitrox, and at least for me eventually DM.

Any really good advice for some new divers on equipment, we are wanting to make a solid gear purchase that will last us for many years, without requiring upgrades, other than the "I just gotta have that".

Thanks for the help... We are counting the days til Jamaica... 30 and falling fast... We'll be enjoying the warm Caribbean waters in 32 (no diving with our resort on Sunday:( )

1. We can beat any internet price with a full warranty... so call us at 443-772-0595

2. It's an OK deal... but not the best one you can get. The Pilot is an entry level low end BCD. The MK25 S600 has lots of problems and the TEK 2 computer is something that never caught on and why it is available at LeisurePro

3. Scubapro is a good company that makes good gear... but these three items in particular are not their best performance. There are many good companies in the top tier... they include Scubapro, Apeks, Dive Rite, Oceanic, and Hollis.

Here is what I would sell you...
Oceanic Excursion BCD, Oceanic Delta IV DVT Regulator, Oceanic Veo 100 NX Computer Console and Oceanic Alternate Air Source Integrated Inflator. TOTAL $1222.00 per set.... plus we'll send it all in a FREE Travel bag.

We have other great options as well for even less... under $1000 each. Call us at 443-772-0595 for more information on most any major brand of gear.

Do you know Ford is the number 1 selling truck for the last zillion years? How many ambulances are Chevy? They have to be tuff thats why they wear the Blue Oval. The little mail trucks? Ford too, you know they put a zillion miles on them. Oh, yes I almost forgot. Look at your local gas and electric companies heavy boom trucks, yes Ford!

Now opionons are like ******** everyone has them ... same here ... their equipment is the best! Just have an open mind and do your research you make the choice. All major brand equipment today is very good stuff. Scubapro is very good equipment. Compare prices. (do it better than choosing a Chevy Truck)

lololololol just kidding you! Point is pick what YOU like.

Do you know Ford is the number 1 selling truck for the last zillion years? How many ambulances are Chevy? They have to be tuff thats why they wear the Blue Oval. The little mail trucks? Ford too, you know they put a zillion miles on them. Oh, yes I almost forgot. Look at your local gas and electric companies heavy boom trucks, yes Ford!

Now opionons are like ******** everyone has them ... same here ... their equipment is the best! Just have an open mind and do your research you make the choice. All major brand equipment today is very good stuff. Scubapro is very good equipment. Compare prices. (do it better than choosing a Chevy Truck)

Bob-- You are way too funny... I drive a Found On Road Dead for work, but in my driveway is a bright red crew cab Z71 Chevy Silverado... I just like to drive a real truck, and not get beat to death by the suspension... Ford's are ok, they are easy to pull with my Chevy!!!! :lotsalove:

ScubaBoard definitely rocks... My fiancee threatened to cut off the life supply last night if I didn't get off line, but once I got her started reading, it was a long night. We are both eager to learn and have rented 4 sets of totally different equipment since class to find the perfect gear for us...

I went ahead and bought a Mares M2 from ST, and have to say the small print instructions are not good, but I am loving this computer already. Its easy, just had to have my 11 yr old show me how to use it. :dork2:

I have now made room in my Archery shop to accommodate the Diving gear, and was almost heart broken when I saw the dust collecting on a few bows, right up till the fiancee walked out and asked if we were heading to the dive shop to try some more gear!!! I feel like a kid in a free candy store...

The second LDS here in town is great, they have a policy that they will service the gear that they sell, plus several other brands, if they are certified to service that line, and will do so without issue, according to the owner himself. They carry Aqualung, Oceanic, Scubapro, and a couple others, and the only push that we have received from the shop is No major equipment purchase, until you try it. The owner was very specific on making sure we got 100% of what we wanted and needed for years to come.

We are planning to rent our top 3 choices of gear ($60-75 per set) for our week on Broken Bow, try all 3, and then try to decide from there. Best of all is the money we spend renting, gets applied dollar for dollar towards our purchase. :D

When Scubapro was taken over by Johnson Outboard Motors the Quality Assurance went down the tubes. Look at recalls for cracked first stages. I dove SB for years and loved them but when a outboard motor company starts building regulators you have to ask yourself a few questions.The top engineers from SB started Atomic and thier regulators have proven to be one of the top performers since they began. I had an AirII, earlier generation, and you couldn't give me one now. If you want Inflator/Regulator combo look at the Atomic version. Breathed the same as top of the line regulators the Air II won't come close. Also look at Zeagle and Oceanic for great BC's. Computers..Lots of good ones out there.

dewayne405 I just wanted to get a point across to you. Listen to everyone then ignore everyone when it comes to equipment. Everyone says buy this are buy that because they have it and like it. You need to like it and be happy with your own equipment. It's great your trying things out way to go.

The MK25 is the top of the line. It is overbalanced which means it get easier to breath the deeper you go. I would stick with the MK17 unless every dive you do is below 100 feet' and the Mk 11 if you are doing doing warmer shallower water.

This is simply not true. The whole "overbalanced" nonsense and it's effect on diving is just more BS. In SP's case, the term "overbalanced" in the MK25 (if they even use that term) is used to describe the slight flaring of the piston at the seat which is meant to compensate for a slight drop in IP as tank pressure lowers. It has absolutely nothing to do with depth compensation. The reason the MK25 breathes easily at extreme depth is because it has a very high flow rate and very quick piston response which helps keep the IP from dropping much on inhalation.

Some other companies, notably aqualung, tout some of their regs as "overbalanced" meaning the IP is supposed to rise greater than the increase in ambient pressure as depth increases. Personally, I doubt this occurs in any significant sense at anything even remotely approaching recreational depths. If IP really did increase substantially higher than the increase in ambient pressure, non-balanced 2nds would free flow at depth and balanced 2nds would simply increase in cracking pressure as the IP in the balance chamber would exert more upstream force on the seat.

Getting back to the MK25, if you're implying that its design makes it unsuitable for shallow dives, that's completely false. For rec diving, any of the SP 1st stages will work really well.

dewayne405 I just wanted to get a point across to you. Listen to everyone then ignore everyone when it comes to equipment. Everyone says buy this are buy that because they have it and like it. You need to like it and be happy with your own equipment. It's great your trying things out way to go.

I sort of agree with Bob Vincent (above); however, that said I'm kinda partial to the Atomic brand of regulators. I have had both the B-1 w/swivel and now the M-1. I think they are the best breathing regulators to be had. I also think their overall quality is excellent.

dewayne405:
crystal view purge masks

dewayne...I would encourage you to stay away from the purge valve masks. There exist failure points...sand, snot and the valve cover falling out, all of which will make clearing impossible. Just my personal opinion...

When Scubapro was taken over by Johnson Outboard Motors the Quality Assurance went down the tubes. Look at recalls for cracked first stages. I dove SB for years and loved them but when a outboard motor company starts building regulators you have to ask yourself a few questions.QUOTE]

If you want to take a potshot at Scubapro, you would be better served to find different (factual) ammo. Scubapro is a division of Johnson Outdoors, Inc. which has never had a connection to Johnson Outboard Motors. Johnson Outboard Motors was a division of the now defunct Outboard Marine Corp., which was purchased in bankruptcy by Bombardier, a Canadian Company.

Back
Top Bottom