Equipment rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scottbeach

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello all-

My wife and I are shopping for gear, however we'd like to take our time and make sure we're getting exactly what we want/need at a price we like from an LDS we trust. We've got a Cozumel trip coming up and I don't forsee us purchasing gear prior to the trip. So here's the question...

Do we rent gear stateside and travel with it to Cozumel OR do we trust renting gear in Mexico? I'm concerned that "sight unseen" the LDS gear in Mexico might be of poor quality, maintenance, etc... what is the group's experience or opinion on the matter?

Rent at home and take it with you, for the reasons you mentioned. You'll know the gear fits, is maintained regularly and is decent quality. Not to say that you can't find such gear in Coz, and not knowing your dive op I can't say. But this way you'll be sure!

Thanks for not rushing your gear purchases! :thumb:

Dee

Are there no reputable dive shops in Cozumel that you need to take a BC/ Reg set with you?

Scottbeach

I'd certainly take your own mask, fins and wetsuit because they're personal items that you need to know fit you. Why don't you speak to the operator you will be using or look for recommendations for operators if you haven't decided on one yet. If you can get a recommended operator I would trust them to have properly maintained equipment. It's more than their reputation is worth to hire out poorly maintained gear.

The April edition of Rodale's Scuba Diving contains an article about Cozumel and the January/February edition contains 2 Cozumel dive operators, Aldora Divers and Scuba Club Cozumel, in their top 20 Readers' Choice recommendations for Dive Operators.

I would travel lighter if you could and this might give you more opportunity to sample different BCs, Regs etc than if you rent in the US and take it with you.

Regards

After posting yesterday's reply I bought the May issue of Rodale's Scuba Diving which includes their International Dive Travel Directory with a section on Cozumel. You may be interested.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom