Equipment Suggestions for a $ challenged newby

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MagicDave,

If you can find an Aqualung dealer near you you may be able to rent a BlackDiamond BC. It is a back inflate BC, I have a used one I'd be willing to sell pretty cheap. It's in great shape and has an AirSource inflator (that's a low pressure inflator for your bc and a backup regulator, so you don't have to buy an Octopus).

Diverduane

The Cobra II is due in the shop soon. It is available for order now. By the way, I have that BlackDiamond BC. I like it, but there is one thing about it that I don't like. My old DiveRite bladder had an oval shape. This new Black Diamond has a U shape. Here is the kicker. If you are inverted taking u/w photos, and you reach around for a purge, you can only purge one side. Air is trapped on the top portion of the other U. I found this out after making 15 dives with it last month. (new gear for me also).

It is going to take some getting used to, because I may not always have the free hand I need to purge in the place where the air is sitting in the bladder.

Renting bc's isn't a bad idea- that way you can try them out and see what works for you.. But I'd definitely get a quality set of regulators first (the keyword there is quality).. Having a budget is tough but don't settle for junk when it comes to the things that are essentially your life support underwater. Buy one thing at a time, when you can afford it...
Renting does suck and it truly does add up (fast)- but look around at other local shops who might have lower rental prices on gear.. For stuff like your wetsuit, fins, BC's (if you know what kind you want), etc check out Ebay~ you can (sometimes) find new stuff at used prices.. If you buy used regs, make sure you take them to your dive shop and have them serviced before using them.. (same with a BC.. have the O-rings checked).

Be very careful about who and where you buy from.. You'll see certain brands of computers (and gear) being sold for a lot less online~ but often, they aren't accompanied by the same manufacturers warranty as you'd get elsewhere (LDS)..
Scubaboard has a section where members can put their gear for sale-- check that out too...
Shop wisely... no hasty decisions... get 2nd opinions... and you'll do fine :)

So what I am hearing here is the GT3/CDX-5 from Oceanic that I am considering is not a bad choice regulator especially good since it is within my budget.

If I go with a vest BC, I can take the money I am saving and put it toward the Balance...higher end that I was looking at spending, but combined with the suggestion not to spend the money on high end computer right now I can afford it.

The price diff of buying a seperate Octo, vs built in to the BC....I am going built in to the BC for @ $40.00 more, just looks cleaner and seems to be what I see most folks dive with, thus to me that likely calculates to a smart move?

Seems like everywhere seems to rent the same functional but no bells and whistles bc's so not sure continued renting will help, unless I can try the back inflate bc.

It was suggested I purchase a wetsuit. I found what I think is a good deal on a Henderson Neosport. It is @ $ 120, but will keep shopping for now. Question is, some wet suits are a pain to put on and remove. This one is 4mm/3mm by the way. Anyone know how hard it is to put on? I have no problem continuing to rent wet suits for now until I can make the best decision, they are not where my rental cost is vs BC/Reg.

BTW...you guys are great I truly mean it when I say thanks...all the LDS are helpful, but lets face it they want to sale me what is on the shelf and it is hard to know you are getting fair advise vs a sales pitch....you guys are just what the doctor ordered...keep your thoughts coming...I value them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom