essential scuba related nonfiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do think you'd enjoy my nonfiction book, SEALAB: America's Forgotten Quest to Live and Work on the Ocean Floor, which will take you back to some key diving developments and the pioneering people responsible for them. Divers (including some here on ScubaBoard) and non-divers alike have had good things to say about SEALAB, which I've of course appreciated, but you can read a sample chapter for yourself on my website; there are also excerpts on Amazon. As the subtitle suggests, SEALAB is largely a forgotten story, but one that deserves to be better known - so I thought I should write a book about it . . .

Basic Scuba by Fred Roberts, it is an old book but the skills taught then are still valid today but rarely taught.

Basic Scuba by Fred Roberts, it is an old book but the skills taught then are still valid today but rarely taught.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It is an excellent book for identifying diving regulators and the history of SCUBA diving regulators, very little on the teaching of skills of the 1960s. Fred was never an instructor and to my knowledge never taught a diving course.

The book's correct title is "BASIC SCUBA; Self contained breathing apparatus, It's operation, maintenance and use"

There were two editions, 1960 & 1963. The 1963 edition was available in hard cover with dust jacket and Soft cover.
A synopsis of the book is as follows

1960, D.Van Norstrand & co, Hard cover with dust jacket, 386 pages...LCCC# 60-15136, No ISBN

1963, Enlarged second edition , D.Van Norstrand & co, Hard cover with dust jacket, 488 pages...NO LCCC or ISBN #
1963, Enlarged second edition , D.Van Norstrand, Reinhold & co, soft cover, 488 pages...LCCC# 64-1105, ISBN 0-442-26824-6

At the time of writing the book and publishing the book Fred was a neighbor in OC and frequent diving companion. My editions have been inscribed to me..

SDM

Last edited:
I have purchased many of my scuba related books from thriftbooks.com. They carry a wide and ever changing range of books including many mentioned here. I have been able to score several that are out of print in excellent condition.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2013 at 11:09 AM ----------

Down time. Great writers on diving
challenging the deep. HHaas
Fatally Flawed. Schaik
The silent world. Jyc
face of the deep. Thomas
water and light. Harrigan
the living sea. JYC
neutral buoyancy. Ecott
diving into darkness. Finch
deep descent. Mcmurray
no safe harbor. Burnworth
Fatal depth. Haberstrog
touch the sea. Scarr
to unplumbed depths. Haas

Some off my shelves.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2013 at 11:11

If you want a good FICTION book being paraded as non-fiction, try: Shadow Divers Exposed: the Real Saga of the U-869 by Gary Gentile.

I have purchased many of my scuba related books from thriftbooks.com. They carry a wide and ever changing range of books including many mentioned here. I have been able to score several that are out of print in excellent condition.

---------- Post added January 25th, 2013 at 11:09 AM ----------
Down time. Great writers on diving
challenging the deep. HHaas
Fatally Flawed. Schaik
The silent world. Jyc
face of the deep. Thomas
water and light. Harrigan
the living sea. JYC
neutral buoyancy. Ecott
diving into darkness. Finch
deep descent. Mcmurray
no safe harbor. Burnworth
Fatal depth. Haberstrog
touch the sea. Scarr
to unplumbed depths. Haas

Some off my shelves.

BRAVO!

For a resident of Arizonia and less than 100 dives you certainly have a good start on developing a presentable dive library..Keep searching...Finding old classical dive books is like an adult Easter Egg hunt...And there are many many more to find and read.

Good luck!

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom