essential scuba related nonfiction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, now. So I'm not particularly a big reader (I enjoy a good book but have trouble finding the time) but I was wondering if there is a small collection of scuba related nonfiction that could be considered "essential" reading. Is there something out there I just have to read or that would specifically improve my diving? Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jallen,

There are many many non fiction books that that have been written or will be written which will provide the information to increase your dive knowledge. There is only one way to improve your diving ability and that is quality post certification education and practice- but bear in mind only perfect practice makes perfect diving.

The books recommended by previous posters to this thread are excellent currently available books and are a good place to start. I suspect that once you begin acquiring books and reading them that you will acquire others and all to soon develop a decent diving reference library. A delightful unquenchable life time hobby.

I was a charter member of the Historical Diving Society,(aka HDS) on the founding Board of Directors and the first (and ONLY) "Director of Sport diving." A number of years back in 1993(?) I organized and presented the very first "US Diving Bibliophile meet."

This historical two day Dive Bibliophile event in my CenCal home brought together the major American dive bibliophiles from most western states and via letters and telephone conferences other dive bibliophiles from all over the world. As expected there were many discussions as what constituted a book, pamphlet, a brochure etc; how to collect, preserve and display them. The entire meet agreed that the historical publications were becoming scarce and expensive. Now with the advent of electronic shopping have all but disappeared from the used book market. However, on occasion a great historical book pops up, so I would suggest that you also check E bay and other electronic marketing for historical as well as modern dive books.

Good luck!

SDM

While the Humann Deloach series of fish/creature/coral i.d. books don't help me become a better diver they do help to give me much better appreciation and enjoyment of my dives, both before and after. I can't recommend them highly enough.

While the Humann Deloach series of fish/creature/coral i.d. books don't help me become a better diver they do help to give me much better appreciation and enjoyment of my dives, both before and after. I can't recommend them highly enough.

These were our text books for Coral Reef Ecology.

They are now available on iPad, etc via blio.

I second the Humann/Deloach ID books.

Dr Carl Edmonds' Dangerous Marine Creatures is excellent.

Shadow Divers and The Last Dive are pretty good.

These two excellent books are not specifically related to diving but are of interest to many divers:

In Harm's Way: The Sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis and the Extraordinary Story of Its Survivors: Doug Stanton: 9780805073669: Amazon.com: Books

Twelve Days of Terror: A Definitive Investigation of the 1916 New Jersey Shark Attacks: Richard G. Fernicola: Amazon.com: Books

A note to niche authors: a lot of us no longer buy books printed on paper. The minute Deco For Divers, for example, is available on Kindle I will buy it.

While the Humann Deloach series of fish/creature/coral i.d. books don't help me become a better diver they do help to give me much better appreciation and enjoyment of my dives, both before and after. I can't recommend them highly enough.[
/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I have been involved in recreational/professional diving and dive bibliophilia as an all encompassing hobby longer than I care to remember or admit.

I recall several decades ago when Paul Humann began taking pictures of marine life from which he then produced his first marine life identification book which I purchased. Now his books are classic and even used as text books. A tribute to a fine gentleman and a great idea. It is strongly suggested that all divers who travel to or are going to travel to the tropics pick up a copy of his works. I also can't recommend them highly enough

Please bear in mind in the beginning of recreational diving there was only one book,"The Compleat Goggler" published in 1938, then a few more after WW 11, to present day when they are being published at a very rapid rate. However, as they are becoming available only a few divers are aware of them and even fewer divers are purchasing them. Once published the books are like a perishable foods, they are on the market shelf for a short time then discarded with a few ending up on the discount book sellers shelves terminating on E bay. Then they are no more....

I would suggest to each and every interested diver as I suggested to the OP to purchase current books of interest to you to develop your own personal dive reference library
SDM

Diving Science by Michael Strauss and Igor Aksenov - and agree with other recommendations here.

I can remember reading "Exploring the Deep Frontier" Nat Geo when I was a kid that inspired me to study the ocean. Ended up going on a NG cruise with Sylvia Earle while in grad school.

Found an old copy at an estate sale. It's a good one!

I further recommend Shadow Divers. Great read for the diver or non diver.

I'm biased because I am co-author with my wife, but The Scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette and The scuba Snobs Guide to Diving Etiquette, BOOK 2, though written to entertain, do have useful information, particularly about dive travel and dive boat etiquette, and both are pretty short. Available everywhere as paperback or e-book. If you hate them, you can post a review here on SB. You can do the same if you like them, by the way. They aren't as "meaty" as LaPenta's book, but they are fun. ( and sell a lot better!) And we are business sponsor of scuba board, so you know we are nice people.
DivemasterDennis

This is a great thread and I now have a reading list to occupy my winter on dry land in Colorado. I am a new diver and for other new divers I did enjoy the Scuba Snobs book and would HIGHLY recommend Jim Lapenta's book.

Back
Top Bottom