Essentials -- A Great Class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Simple answer -- he could take essentials in his back-inflate BC.

Ah, I see. Thank you.

A backplate and wing IS a back-inflate buoyancy compensator :D

Vie, it is actually a very good question as to why I opted for Essentials over Fundies. Some of the answer is that I'm just contraryian enough to NOT want to take a class that has my wife in such a twitter! BUT, yes, it was more than that -- much more!

It was my belief, and, after the class, remains my belief, that learning many of the skills/ideas of "the dark side" would/could make me a better diver. Yet, w/Fundies, I'd have to change the equipment I use for diving -- and I thought (and since I watched people have trouble with their new BP/W's and such) using unfamiliar equipment would detract from a primary purpose of the course which was to learn physical skills (primarily the kicks).

It didn't make sense to me when Lynne (TSandM) switched over all her gear so that she could take a class and it doesn't make sense to me now. OTOH, the only two changes in gear I had to do for Essentials was to get a longer hose (5') and Jet fins (well, actually I had Jets but only for warm water so I had to get another pair to fit my dry suit boots). The class was NOT about gear -- it was about the ESSENTIALS of safe and effective fun diving.

Which is not to say I didn't get some gentle (and not so gentle but OH so funny) ribbing about my Cobra (Hmmm, was I taking a picture, calling for pizza or checking my pressure?).

Note -- During a video review Joe stopped the video and showed how the diver was in quite good trim/balance etc., UNTIL we realized it was ME in my BC and NOT Dave in his BP/W -- then Joe noticed how unseemly the drag from the Cobra, BC, etc! It was funny that NONE of us realized we weren't looking at a BP/W when we were looking at my back inflate BC!

Peter, thank you for taking the time to answer my question. Your reasonings for choosing Essentials over Fundies does make a lot of sense. Have you ever tried a bp/wing though?

Vie, No, I have not used a BP/W (much to TSandM's disgust). HOWEVER, I just found a treasure trove of slides from my early days of SCUBA, circa 1967 and looked at them last night. I was able to PROVE to her that YES, I really DID dive with a back plate -- but Wing? We didn't need no stinking Wing!

(I'm going to have to get a slide/negative scanner soon -- the pictures are just too wonderful to be sitting on a shelf.)

Peter Guy:
Vie, No, I have not used a BP/W (much to TSandM's disgust). HOWEVER, I just found a treasure trove of slides from my early days of SCUBA, circa 1967 and looked at them last night. I was able to PROVE to her that YES, I really DID dive with a back plate -- but Wing? We didn't need no stinking Wing!

(I'm going to have to get a slide/negative scanner soon -- the pictures are just too wonderful to be sitting on a shelf.)
Of course, if you were to ever decide to try a BP/W, you know that you have ready access to a loaner ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I do not see why many of the important lessons that are taught in Essentials (and fundies for that matter) cannot be implemented when wearing a standard bcd. You do not need a backplate to get trimmed out, you do not need it to do a back kick and you certainly do not need it to have good situational awareness. It doesn't affect gas planning and it most certainly doesn't help one be a better thinking diver. About the only things I can see that makes not wearing a backplate problematic are hose routing and stowage for your primary regulator and transitioning to doubles.

Peter, great report.

Adobo:
I do not see why many of the important lessons that are taught in Essentials (and fundies for that matter) cannot be implemented when wearing a standard bcd. You do not need a backplate to get trimmed out, you do not need it to do a back kick and you certainly do not need it to have good situational awareness. It doesn't affect gas planning and it most certainly doesn't help one be a better thinking diver. About the only things I can see that makes not wearing a backplate problematic are hose routing and stowage for your primary regulator and transitioning to doubles.

Peter, great report.
All very true ... which is what makes Essentials a better choice than DIR-F for a large percentage of recreational divers. I'm surprised it took so long for someone to implement the class for it's value to the average recreational diver ... but not at all surprised by who finally did ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I think it's more about a position statement of an agency than what could or could not be done. For whatever reason, people who are not of the DIR (or technical diving mindset) seem to view Fundies as an end to itself. It is not. It is simply a doorway to further advancement of training by the same agency. Thus, at the fundies level, it makes perfect sense to require the things they do because the class is in preparation for either Tech1, or Cave1.

If you have no interest in moving beyond DIR-F, then perhaps essentials IS a better choice. Or perhaps the DIR-F class that is upcoming will be more flexible and will allow a variety of gear configs for those not interested in pursuing further training in the GUE structure.

If I showed up for NACD or NSS Intro Cave class in a jacket BC, split fins, and with a pistol grip light, I'd expect to be shown the door. Not sure why this is seen any differently.

Adobo:

Peter, great report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom