Etiquette on carrying a knife during dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vuk Milicevic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am hesitant on asking this question for fear of being judged but will go ahead and do so anyway. I am getting OW certified in a few weeks. My purpose behind doing so is so that my brother and I can travel to the Caribbean (to start off with) 3 or 4 times a year and dive. We both have an avid appreciation for the outdoors and the main "goal" we have with wanting to dive is to be under clear water, appreciate what life down below is like and see cool/colorful/interesting marine life.

Having said that, something that he and I are equally afraid of are sharks. I'm not going to isolate our fear to one or two types, we are simply afraid of sharks. This might be the point in my thread where someone tells me if that's the case, I need to find something else to do but I will press on.

I want to know what the etiquette is of carrying a knife underwater simply to have as a resource to defend myself should the need ever arise. From talking to a friend at work, who has been ocean diving for 15 years, he told me that he never carries a knife on him and that certain places won't even let you dive with one. We plan on diving in places that are not known for having sharks in waters but no one will ever be able to guarantee that.

Am I being too scared here or is this a valid question? I am fully aware that when we're down below, we're in their world and need to accept the potential consequences. My theory behind this is the same theory I apply to conceal carrying a firearm during every day life. I do not do so because I want to feel "tough", show off or feed my ego. I simply do so in the event that if something were to happen and I'd need to defend myself or my family, I would be able to do so and not be begging for my life at someone else's mercy.

Can the same mentality be applied to diving? I want to say in advance that if this post offends anyone, I apologize. I do not want to come across as egotistical, I'm simply new and don't understand how this is perceived by the general community.

I think you'll find that many divers routinely carry knives, but for the reason of freeing themselves should they become entangled in fishing line, for example.

The likelihood of being attacked by a shark as a submerged diver really is very low. And my gut feeling would be that if you did get attacked by a determined shark, having a knife wouldn't do you a huge amount of good. YMMV

A knife is considered a reasonable and wise piece of scuba equipment. It's a tool, used for many things. Pretty much the last thing on that list is a weapon, and I doubt you would be able to use it as such even if the opportunity presented itself in some sort of best-case-scenerio (i.e. shark coming right at you, you have plenty of time to react, pull your knife and prepare).

I can share your initial trepidation regarding sharks. I won't try to convince you otherwise, but I will tell you my fear has waned. You're still bigger than most any shark you're likely to encounter (read: they are more afraid of you) and we are not their preferred menu. We're big, menacing looking, with bubbles coming out of us and weird looking tanks and masks and regs all over us. We do not look good to them.

Also, consider this: I've been given first hand accounts of shark dives where they purposefully chum the water and instigate the sharks into a feeding frenzy. I assume this is done in areas where they know what kind of shark they are going to attract - i.e. none that are too big - but the divers are not in cages for this. The guy that told me this, older and wiser now, admitted it was pretty stupid, and he would not do it again nor would he recommend it.

The take-away I get from that - if THOSE guys didn't get chomped on, in that situation, I think I'm pretty safe... :)

Carry a Trilobite knife. Www.eezycut.com. Buy two. One mounts on your computer strap (assuming you are right handed and have your computer on your right wrist). Second one on your shoulder strap above your left upper d ring. That way in an entanglement you have access to your one of your knives. But it's only for cutting line. Have nothing to do with defending yourself.

I think you'll find that many divers routinely carry knives, but for the reason of freeing themselves should they become entangled in fishing line, for example.

The likelihood of being attacked by a shark as a submerged diver really is very low. And my gut feeling would be that if you did get attacked by a determined shark, having a knife wouldn't do you a huge amount of good. YMMV
Pardon my ignorance - YMMV???

Bring a lightning rod on the boat. despite the bulk you will be much safer. Shark attacks are insanely rare, I have nothing against having a knife, but the biggest hazard for you is panicking and making an uncontrolled ascent. Think of seeing a shark like seeing a bear in Yellowstone, you are getting to see an apex predator in its natural setting. Swallow your fear and enjoy the show. If it gets too close, punch it in the nose.

I carry as a tool as the others have mentioned, I do not have the skill to fight a shark and don't have the confidence I would win. Instead I avoid looking like or behaving food or a threat. I also don't seek out dive spots home to some of the more notorious species.

Accident stats still shark attack on divers is a ridiculously unlikely hazard to encounter injury and I feel there are much more realistic risks I am better focusing my time and attention on preparing for.

If a shark stabbing knife (like in the movies) helps you feel prepared and comfortable underwater and you are prepared and trained to safely use it (same as any other defence weapon) it might be ok to quietly carry in your bcd provided the dive shop doesn't object. Some regions prohibit carrying. The guys I know who carry a BGK with the idea of it being a weapon are rare and a dying breed as the millions of dives happening globally have educated us as to safer ways to interact with sharks.

This is from the perspective of a fresh water diver with a fear of sharks now that I have a 1,400 hours salt water diving and enjoy sharks company. Not a diver who grew up diving among sharks and have a mature understanding of the risks.

Regards,
Cameron

When I first started snorkeling (which lead to scuba) sharks were on my mind, I don't think that's uncommon.

You are more vulnerable snorkeling (surface activity) than diving and the statistics demonstrate you are extremely unlikely to be attacked as a diver.

Some people definitely oversell how safe/cuddly sharks are, but the reality is being attacked is highly unlikely and for me, after nearly 50 dives not only do I not worry about sharks but I look forward to seeing them.

I've seen reefies, sandbar and recently two big bull sharks and other than keeping an eye on the bulls when they were close and enjoying the show I didn't worry about them at all, still had my usual SAC for the dive :)

You are better off with a knife/cutting utensil designed for freeing yourself than defending yourself from a shark, IF a shark wants to sneak attack you, it more than likely can quite easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom