Ever had to use Rescue training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had an instructor who was also an EMT for over a decade who said they considered CPR to be just a way to keep the meat fresh for organ donation. You don't get a real boost in chance of survival until you use an AED. So I would agree that the main benefit of rescue training is increased awareness of concerning situations before a problem emerges.

Kinda... An AED will only coax the heart out of an arrhythmia.

I agree the best rescue is one you don't have to do... Once of prevention worth a ton of cure IMHO!

Yes there must be a shockable rhythm for an AED to be of any use. It is also true that shockable rhythms are short lived and delay in access to an AED may mean the window of opportunity is closed.

It is also true that drowning and trauma don't tend to result in a rhythm that can be converted. If the "incident" is a result of cardiac issues it is a different story. DAN Asia Pacific is reporting so many events that involve Cardiac issues that they are getting rather picky about Membership and Insurance for some groups of divers here.

I am a retired Paramedic and currently teach first aid. When I teach CPR and the use of the AED I am respectful of the patient, their families, any potential organ recipients, first aiders efforts and witnesses. I used to instruct my crew (yes I was a station chief) to take the minute or so needed to reassure and commend the efforts of whoever was doing first aid when they arrived.

The impact on all those involved knowing that everything possible was done is phenomenal. I have gone through the entire process knowing full well there was no chance of anything but making it easier for the survivors to heal. My goal every time I teach is to encourage people to try everything reasonably possible to the best of their ability but not be traumatized if it doesn't work.

Banyan I would not like to meet your instructor as we have a totally different attitudes. IMHO humans are never meat hot or cold and I would be inclined to make that point with this person rather forcefully given the chance!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom