Everyone is selling a Petrel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pullnglide

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Posted on CDF as well and call me an ass or whatever you will for this thread but is there something I am missing on the Petrel. I am to purchase one soon as a back up and they seem to be about $830-$850 brand new for a standalone. Why the hell is everyone asking $775-$850 for their used one? I know the obvious answer, just looking for a confirmation.

It seems to me if you can sell used equipment for essentially list price that people are pretty happy with Petrels. What might the "obvious answer" be?

Well I know asking that price and getting that price are 2 completely different things. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything but hey if someone can only take a $50 hit on a dive computer then that's awesome!!

Id love to know what the obvious answer is?

Im also confused a little. The title of the thread is "everyone is selling a petrel".....which just isnt true. In my area, the Predator and now the Petrel are on what I would guestimate is about 75% of the people I dive with. None of them have any interest in selling them. Most have 2....or are working towards 2.

Posted on CDF as well and call me an ass or whatever you will for this thread but is there something I am missing on the Petrel. I am to purchase one soon as a back up and they seem to be about $830-$850 brand new for a standalone. Why the hell is everyone asking $775-$850 for their used one? I know the obvious answer, just looking for a confirmation.

Probably because they bought a newer "2" or a hardware version capable of utilizing the latest firmware.

If I could get that much $ back on used equipment, I'd be happy as a seller. Not necessarily as a buyer.

BRad

The answer is its not gonna happen! There are quite a few petrels on this board and CDF for sale. I do not know much about Shearwater, just that everyone says they are solid computers and everyone seems to be asking about the same price for a used one as a new one cost. Thought maybe firmware is an additional cost as in a Liquivision and that's why they are priced comparably. The main reason I started this thread was not to be a jerk but i have been looking at used Petrel 1s and the lowest I have seen is $750 when a new one is $830. Just doesn't make sense to me. Guess I'll just buy a new one or wait til the Petrel 1 is a little older.

Unless there is an supply / availability issue with new ones, I question why anyone would pay that close to new for a used one. I can think of no compelling reason why.

You will have better luck trying to get a Predator. There is no real reason for current Petrel users to move to version 2, unless they really, really want the compass. I have both predator and petrel and will only sell my predator to fund a petrel2 upgrade, but I am in no real hurry.

I think the $750-800 prices are fantasy for a Petrel 1. Only people not aware of the Petrel 2 would pay that. Most 1's I've seen sold locally went for $650-ish.

I think the $750-800 prices are fantasy for a Petrel 1. Only people not aware of the Petrel 2 would pay that. Most 1's I've seen sold locally went for $650-ish.

That's more of what I was thinking and maybe $650 is still a little too high for my liking but I haven't seen any for sale less than $750. I will just wait til they come down. They seem to be great computers and have nothing but good reviews.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom