Everything done right......still a hit.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pterantula:
I'll buy than analogy. Besides, I'm usually ready to just sit and muse after a dive anyway...
Oh there's lots of better info available in this forum thanks to NASA and Dr.Deco. My beverage bubbles were offered for chit chat, and could be accepted I suppose by anyone who doesn't want to read further, but there is a lot more to read. Because of Dr.Deco, I now do a "hidden stop" I think he called it - drifting around on the surface for a minute or two before swimming or climbing.

I was a little surprised at a recent post of the esteemed Dr's addressing the few hours needed before excercise as it was fewer than I'd thot, but I don't remember. I'll see if I can find it and come back to edit this...

Hello Saturation:

Intrapulmonary Shunts

I have seen these papers before, and the results at first seemed contradictory. The “measurement” of the intrapulmonary shunts [Strickland et al. paper] was performed with saline contrast that produces very small gas bubbles. These might be expected to have the needed [calculated] lifetime and pass through the shunts of the diameter hypothesized.

We also have a similar experiment performed by Eldridge et al. This did not have the accompanying blood gas measurements.

Dive Bubbles

I do not have the full paper and thus must view what appears in the abstract [Dujic et al. paper]. It is not clear from the abstract exactly when the exercise (to provoke pulmonary arterial pressure increases) was made post dive and the time of the echo measurements. [It might even appear that the echoes were not performed during the exercise.]

I suspect that the difference lies in the diameter of the bubbles. Diving does not generally generate small bubbles in the micro range. Thus, one might guess that intrapulmonary shunts would be of too small a diameter.

There are cases where “strange” Doppler precordial sounds are detected post dive. I have always surmised that these rare insistences [with a very pronounced flow sound] occur when very small bubbles are generated; one cannot hear any distinct bubble sounds. It is just possible that these cases might produced DCS with exercise (or strenuous activity).

Dr Deco :doctor:

The next class in Decompression Physiology for 2006 is September 16 – 17. :1book: http://wrigley.usc.edu/hyperbaric/advdeco.htm

References :book3:

Dujic Z, Palada I, Obad A, Duplancic D, Brubakk AO, Valic Z. Exercise-induced intrapulmonary shunting of venous gas emboli does not occur after open-sea diving. J Appl Physiol. 2005 Sep;99(3):944-9. Epub 2005 Apr 21.

Eldridge MW, Dempsey JA, Haverkamp HC, Lovering AT, Hokanson JS. Exercise-induced intrapulmonary arteriovenous shunting in healthy humans. J Appl Physiol. 2004 Sep;97(3):797-805. Epub 2004 Apr 23.

Stickland MK, Welsh RC, Haykowsky MJ, Petersen SR, Anderson WD, Taylor DA, Bouffard M, Jones RL. Intra-pulmonary shunt and pulmonary gas exchange during exercise in humans. J Physiol. 2004 Nov 15;561(Pt 1):321-9. Epub 2004 Sep 23.

Dr Deco:
Hello Saturation:

Intrapulmonary Shunts

I have seen these papers before, and the results at first seemed contradictory. The “measurement” of the intrapulmonary shunts [Strickland et al. paper] was performed with saline contrast that produces very small gas bubbles. These might be expected to have the needed [calculated] lifetime and pass through the shunts of the diameter hypothesized.

We also have a similar experiment performed by Eldridge et al. This did not have the accompanying blood gas measurements.

Dive Bubbles

I do not have the full paper and thus must view what appears in the abstract [Dujic et al. paper]. It is not clear from the abstract exactly when the exercise (to provoke pulmonary arterial pressure increases) was made post dive and the time of the echo measurements. [It might even appear that the echoes were not performed during the exercise.]

I suspect that the difference lies in the diameter of the bubbles. Diving does not generally generate small bubbles in the micro range. Thus, one might guess that intrapulmonary shunts would be of too small a diameter.

There are cases where “strange” Doppler precordial sounds are detected post dive. I have always surmised that these rare insistences [with a very pronounced flow sound] occur when very small bubbles are generated; one cannot hear any distinct bubble sounds. It is just possible that these cases might produced DCS with exercise (or strenuous activity).
Thanks Dr. D:

The bolded issue is of concern to me in regards to technical diving and particularly CAGE. DCS is less a concern.

There have a been on record a couple of unexplained sudden deaths or loss of consciousness, deaths at times attributed to 'heart attacks', but it happens almost universally to folks within an hour of a dive and doing strenuous activity, typically carrying 125-150#, if not more, worth of tanks up 3 flights of stairs or atop a ladder on a boat. Such activity is common place in boat and cave diving and most tech divers do so without issue. However, when the uncommon occurs, its striking because its so sudden and without warning, very emboli like.

One such death recently happened and suddenly to a well trained tech diver and documented on The Deco Stop, and there are 2 other cases within the last 6 weeks but the documentation remains spotty.

Assuming bubbles begin as micronuclei, these smaller bubbles are far above what bubble models term the LaPlace radius, and thus grow easier and faster than micronuclei. The 1st hour is the most critical time for offgassing, and here is an opportunity for a bubble to grow, in the wrong place. Had it not been in the arterial side, bubbles of such size would not cause much issue once the offgassing continued over time, and thus the inevitable shrinkage of the bubble.

http://www.springerlink.com/(t4pm2u55vzi15q553r3w032u)/app/home/contribution.asp?referrer=parent&backto=issue,5,38;journal,67,130;linkingpublicationresults,1:102334,1

Here's my update......I did 10 dives so far this month and all is well. I am using a higher mix on nitrox and setting my computer to 32%. I do at least two safety stops while ascending. I want to thank every one for their best wishes that were sent my way. My legs are getting stronger, but I know they will never be the same as before.

To clarify something, I did not do any strenuous activity after that dive. Actually I waited on the surface to be picked up (that took a few minutes as we were all doing drift dives). Then I climbed up the boat ladder, removed my gear, sat on the bench and wrapped a piece of string around a bottle.

Thanks again, safe diving,

Lisa

Back
Top Bottom