Excercise/Heat/Cold and what in the world is a

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
vasoconstrictor"???

OK, here is my semi-pertinent question. I exercise M-F, good solid workouts first thing in the morning... After the daily workout, I hit the whirlpool for 5-10 minutes, and then I wait 2 minutes and take the "plunge" in the 49-degree cold plunge bath. I walk down the steps (4) into waist deep water and dip my entire body down. By the time I walk up the steps and always by the top step, my feet are in pain. I am in there no more than 20-30 seconds and if I do it once more (I am a glutton for punishment) my feet start to cramp/hurt before I hit the bottom of the steps. This does seem to stop sweating for my body for the rest of the day, and here in Florida it feels good to get a tad chilled every now and then.

1) I am not looking for free medical advice... I feel that I am in good shape here.

2) Still, I would like to understand the physiology that causes this, and if there is anything short of skipping the cold plunge that might make it easier on the feet.

3) Finally, I would like to understand why the cold seems to have no affect on some people... yeah, I know, no brain, no pain, but there are some that seem to be able to just sit or stand in this cold tub with no discomfort at all.

There is a condition known as Reynauds syndrome that affects the hands mostly. Its been a long time since I've seen this but it has some similarities to what you describe in your feet.

Vasoconstrictors are chemicals that cause blood vessels to constrict.

NetDoc once bubbled...
3) Finally, I would like to understand why the cold seems to have no affect on some people... yeah, I know, no brain, no pain, but there are some that seem to be able to just sit or stand in this cold tub with no discomfort at all.

I believe they are called Canadians. :D :D

(maybe Norweigans, Sweeds, or Fins as well!)

What happens if you do the whirlpool and plunge without exercising first? Do your feet still hurt?

In Singapore it is hard to get chilled. However, if I go jogging, then sit around for a few minutes to cool off, then have a cool shower, my hands go yellow and numb. Doesn't happen if I have a cool shower at other times of the day... it's something to do with the exercise.

Zept

and he said the problem is not uncommon and is from blood being cut off to the feet in an energy conservation move by the body, and that the plantar facicia (sp?) on the bottom side of the foot becomes too stiff.

Hmnnnn, says I... Apparently, no damage is being done and the pain is alleviated within a few steps (as the blood returns). He told me to keep a doin it, sos I will.

BP was 77/125 with a pulse that was 54 bpm. My weight is down 18 pounds from this time last year (still too fat), which he was also happy about. I am looking forward to losing another 80 lbs and getting that pulse back down to the sub 40 it was in college. Of course, it was hard to give blood (not sure what the min is) and it usually freaked the nurses and doctors out until they realised it was sorta normal. Still, I felt better, and would love to return to that level of conditioning/endurance once more.

He gave me some meds for my rotator cuff, which is the reason I went to see him. Do I really need those double 112's??? :tease:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom