Exercise and diving (Not sure where to post this - medicine or exercise)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the advice, I'll let you know how things go once I get started on this regiment:

Squat 65x10x1
OH Press 27.5 x6x1
Rope Jump, Basic & Alternating foot work 1 min
Squat 70x10x1
OH Press 30x6x1
Rope Jump Basic & Alternating foot work with Arm front cross 1.5 min
Squat 75x10x1
OH Press 32.5x6x1
Rope Jump, Alternating foot work with Arm front/side cross and power jump 2 min

I just got home and already found the skipping rope.
Also you really opened my eyes when you commented about how track and field athletes and the swimmers never use the cardio machines. I get so out of breath running the same distance outside compared to when I run inside on the treadmill.
I guess the only way to see or experience a higher rate of improvement is to avoid the treadmill and do some actual running outside eh?

Avic7:
. I get so out of breath running the same distance outside compared to when I run inside on the treadmill.?

I could not resist one more post (even this late for me) since you brought up a terrific point. There are runners, then there are treadmill runners. Both look the same to the inexperienced eye, but the neural patterns are SO different, they are two entirely different activities.

The benefit of running outside is derived from the transmission of force. From landing in your heel to shifting the load to the ball of the foot where the push-off takes place, that's the general pattern for running. Most of the effort (and the benefits from it) are derived from the push-off. Newton's second law. Action and reaction. Your body generates force that pushes the ground with the ball of the foot (action) The ground is not going anywhere, so the force generated is reflected pushing you forward (reaction). With all that said, think about the treadmill. The main movement from running is denied since the surface is ALREADY moving under you. You never get a proper push-off, thus not even a fraction of the benefits. Thus, when you run outside, and force your body to push off (which is not used to doing) it conks out!!

That's why I favor the rope. The quick, reactive foot work gives you far more benefits than the treadmill not to mention that is a whole lot cheaper, portable, and environmental friendly! :14:

Treadmills do have some use, but none in serious conditioning. Stick to the rope and watch those pounds melt! If you can skip for more than 25 minutes (even with power and rope crossing skills) pick-up the pace! Have fun, and that's outtie for me until next week. The in-laws are in town and gots to spend time with them. Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom