Expected temperatures for Roatan in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We had a very similar experience as Robin on a Belize liveaboard we did late December a few years ago. I had taken my 5mm full suit and most everyone on the boat had expressed they wished they had thicker suits by mid-week. A couple of folks borrowed 3mm suits to layer over their own from the liveaboard. The water temperature was 79-80 degrees, but 4-5 dives per day really sucked the heat out of the core.

Definitely would NEVER disagree that others will have FAR different experiences.....especially after diving multiple days in a row in a 7mm last winter in 75 degree in Hawaii next to a guy in a 3mm shorty and hood...and we were both comfortable. And you should have seen the lady's face next to me as I was putting on my 7mm while she was pulling on a skin!! <LOL>

I think that in addition to sharing what water temperatures to expect, it is good when folks share their own cold tolerances and what thickness suits they wear. It makes everyone realize that ALL of it is normal and that whatever they choose is okay.

I think you should expect the water temp. to be around 78-79 degrees in January. We have been there the past two Decembers and found the water temp. to be 79-80.

Not sure how many dives a day you are planning or what your cold tolerance is. We are frequent Fantasy Island guests and I prefer to limit my diving to three dives a day and four dives when there is a night dive. (The resort is amazing...I like to have time to enjoy it!) Last year I upgraded from a skin to a 1 mm suit when I got a little chilly. This year I bought a 3 mm shorty that I will layer over my skin if I feel the need. Everybody has a different body thermostat...

I havn't decided on dives per day yet, I'll play it by ear when I get down there but at least 3 and maybe more if I can find someone to go with that I'm comfortable diving with.

As for cold tolorances I think mine is fairly high, I was doing rescue drills in the pool a few weeks ago two of the people there where complaining about being cold, I was fine and didn't want to get out of the water.

Depending on the length, intensity, amount of rainfall and cloud cover and the number of cold fronts; January water temps can be as low as 76F to 77F.

Be it a wet year or a dry year, we get 50% to 55% of our annual rainfall between mid-October to mid-January.

November, generally is the rainiest month of the year.

:cool2:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom