Experienced and technical divers -- Checking buddy's pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's 2 more questions, Jeff. :D

I was thinking the same..... either get a room or go diving together and work on it...

Meng_Tze:
I was thinking the same..... either get a room or go diving together and work on it...
Whatever <yawn>

Okay, I go diving with Uncle Pug for the day and look what happens . . .

This was a serious question about what well-seasoned and technically trained divers do regarding checking one another's pressure. I got an answer today, I think -- we agreed on a gas plan for each dive, and NOBODY as far as I could tell asked anybody else for pressure.

Limeyx's and rjack's explanation for what I saw makes perfect sense; if you don't KNOW the people, even if you know their training, it is reasonable to check in and make sure things are going as you expect. On a decompression dive, it would be different, simply because I would imagine one does not do significant decompression dives with unknown team members.

Having a deco captain makes perfect sense. One person monitors time and signals the moves. Somebody else shoots the bag and does the reeling up of line. Delegation of responsibility. It's not babysitting. All team members are capable of taking over any role.

Stop bickering!

TSandM:
Okay, I go diving with Uncle Pug for the day and look what happens . . .

This was a serious question about what well-seasoned and technically trained divers do regarding checking one another's pressure. I got an answer today, I think -- we agreed on a gas plan for each dive, and NOBODY as far as I could tell asked anybody else for pressure.

Limeyx's and rjack's explanation for what I saw makes perfect sense; if you don't KNOW the people, even if you know their training, it is reasonable to check in and make sure things are going as you expect. On a decompression dive, it would be different, simply because I would imagine one does not do significant decompression dives with unknown team members.

Having a deco captain makes perfect sense. One person monitors time and signals the moves. Somebody else shoots the bag and does the reeling up of line. Delegation of responsibility. It's not babysitting. All team members are capable of taking over any role.

Stop bickering!

Correct. Note that we did the tech dives on day two and the 30 feet dives on day 1. Not a co-incidence :) By day 2 we were comfy enough to know that even if someone burned through gas too quick, we could handle it. You can get a very good feeling for someone in just a couple of dives.

We did 20 mins of deco on sun, which I felt entirely comfortable doing with Pete/Richard by that point.

A deco captain is the "arbiter" of deco. Jobs like who's doing the reel, bag are assigned on surface *before* the dive.

Deco captain takes over either on deep stops or at 1st gas switch.
Deco captain determines the deco given the *actual* bottom time, and condition of the team (is anyone cold, out of gas, did we spend longer or shorter than planned, did we not find the line and are about to surface in a shipping lane?)

Deco captain indicates deco schedule to the team. Richard likes to use wetnotes for this. When we dive in Socal, we dive with the same people so much, we usually just signal how many minutes we will do.

Then at each stop, DC indicates how many minutes will be spent there, and sometimes gives a countdown of minutes to make sure we are on the same page.

if DC goes under or over a stop by even a minute or two, the rest of the team is ready to pounce.

if the team wants different deco than the DC indicates, then they can make suggestions/argue but end of the day it's the DC that makes the detemination (this is why it's crucial to find compatible buddies)

At the tech1 level (30-35 mins of deco on 50% or 100%) it usually takes more time to argue about deco than it is worth :) howver once you start getting 50-60 mins of deco, it gets more critical.

I'm going back into my hole now.

SparticleBrane:
No, I don't lead a sheltered life...I just don't have anyone I dive with that is only PADI OW certified. :wink:

ACUC uses it as well, it's just easier to see when everyone's swimming horizontal than tapping your gauges, which most people around here tuck in somewhere around their crotch...time to pee in your wetsuit?

Now what's that weird one when people put two knuckles from one hand on the palm of the other??? That's one I don't see much...

What's an SPG?

:D

That will be your

Supervisor Parental Guide........the one that keeps checking your gas

Meng_Tze:
That will be your

Supervisor Parental Guide........the one that keeps checking your gas

I thought that was SDC? Supervising Deco Captain?

Back
Top Bottom