Experienced Divers reaction to Newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never had a big problem with newbies. My biggest gripe is with someone that way overestimates their ability. I would dive with a newbie any day over some bonehead that wants to talk all about his 20 specialties and vast experience. My advice to newbies is just be your self, ask questions, never be afraid to express concern, don't get into a dive that is beyond your ability and relax! I enjoy diving with new people, I don't mind them at all. Also, if you experience a problem, tell someone ASAP, don't let it escalate into a major problem. I've seen a lot of new divers not want to look bad let some minor thing turn into a huge event.

Have fun!

Scott

Hi waterdogs,

The truly impressive list of posts above well covers the many tangential issues relating to the harmonious mix of newbies & old timers. Now for the core items:

1. If the boat has a marine head, learn how to use it so as not to fatally foul the facilities. It don't work like the toidy at home unless you live on an old houseboat.

2. If you suffer mal de mer, go far forward or aft & hurl well over the rail. Under no circumstances direct your rainbow toward rinse buckets, trash containers, marine heads or the beverage/snack cooler.

3. Related to #2 above, it's often a good idea to skip the habanero pepper, scrapple, Vegemite & dated sour cream omelet at breakfast. Ditto the SPAM & olive loaf on dark rye with heavy mayo washed down with blueberry Gatorade over by the diesel exhaust vents during surface interval.

4. If you must wet in your thermal protection, and this is to be expected, do so while submerged. Trying to slip one by while suited up onboard will fail the visual & olfactory tests unless you're wearing a dry suit.

5. Mastering buoyancy control can wait. First practice, practice, practice putting your first stage on the cylinder. If you are observed having to reorient it, you're a terminally marked diver. Ditto for removing the cylinder restraining bungie before rising. Being thrown to the deck as a result of such failure can be hard on both the ego and the coccyx.

6. Also practice your basic hand signals. Giving a "thumb up" to indicate you are doing swell & having a blast not only can cause serious confusion, but means you cannot pass go & cannot collect $200 in the "Scuba-Opoly" game.

7. If you are so foolish as to wear sunglasses without a croaky, hat without a snugging band or T-shirt/towel draped loosely over the shoulder while the boat is in motion and one of these go overboard, just eat the loss quietly. Don't scream out, "Stop, my....."

8. Carry recommended safety signaling devices, but prepare & attach them properly, and keep your cotton-pickin' paws off 'em unless needed. A streaming safety sausage is an annoying sign of a newbie. And fingers away from the Dive Alert. Even the many hard-of-hearing among the "experienced" divers find that a toot a few inches from the ear disturbs their solitude.

9. Rinse your nose & mouth before climbing the ladder for reentry to the boat. Reentry sporting snagged snot or a lengthy lunger is considered bad form by some.

10. If you are a male, don't become distressed if you experience some degree of "shrinkage" due to cold water and thus present a less than incredibly virile image in your wetsuit. Trying to compensate for this by using a spare dive sock or octo retainer is not likely to fool the old hands for long.

But, seriously, as NetDoc said, the fact that you "are even cognizant of the older divers on the boat" means that you are ahead of the game.

Just remember what you've been taught, and be careful, thorough, alert, and respectful of others & the marine environment.

Finally, don't be intimidated. I can only joke about the above because I'm guilty of committing them. Well, all but #10.

Have fun.

DocVikingo

Thanks, Doc, very funny and words of wisdom to live by I must say. You've made me feel a little more confident going into this than i was at first. My future wife is to green to realize, but i could use your words of advice to assist with her and our experiences.

Again, thanks

waterdogs

This is just the thread I needed to read today -

I am planning this weekend (weather permitting) to do my first dive since becoming certified in November - and I admit to worrying a bit about my inexperience in comparison to others and the related intimidation that goes along with it.

After I stopped laughing at some of DocVikingo's pearls of wisdom (hmm...didn't know that #10 was a concern for you guys), I'm glad to hear that being a "newbie" doesn't necessarily have to mean that I have a scarlet "N" on my wetsuit and will be shunned by others (well, as long as I follow #s 1-9). :jester:

Now if the weather will cooperate I'll be good to go. However, it doesn't look to be the case. Aarrgh! Well, I've waited this long, another week won't hurt, I guess.

I too consider myself a new diver (65 dives) and it is my desire to NEVER loose that title. Mostly since on each dive, I strive to learn something new or perfect something I already know. As my instructor friend says, "Always remain a student of diving. Good divers are always learning."

When we dive, we are entering a foriegn environment, one that cannot sustain our life functions (a la outer space). So like many of the folks above have said, one of the important parts of the puzzle here is your attitude. In addition to your sense of humor, you must respect that a set of things must happen correctly for you to survive the dive and also enjoy yourself. And if even the smallest thing goes wrong, at least you call the dive and surface, at worst....you die.

The new diver attitude will ensure that you are always asking questions...both of other divers and especially yourself. (Do I have the experience/training/gear for this dive? Am I physically able to complete the dive? Is my air on? Is my buddy good to go? etc.)

As far as interacting with other new divers, again, I'm in question mode if I see something that doesn't look right. And I always preface the question with, "May I ask you about your .... " to make sure that I'm not being intrusive and am seeing as being inqusitive and helpful. I may need his/her help with something (or worse, at 80 fsw!), so I want to display my interest in them and willingness to be helpful.

This has been a good thread....so kudo's to you for asking the question!

My biggest problem as a new diver is to say "No Dive" or "End Dive" (thumbs up).

I really want to be in the water. When I'm in the water I want to stay there. When my buddy gives me thumbs up, or says he needs to go pay homage to the great god BUICK, my heart falls. My mind says what a wimp, suck it up, "there's no crying in baseball", etc. I Want To Be Diving. But luckily, I have a common sense factor that seems to increase in size at a rate proportionate to my age, and I have always signed up and my buddies have always done the same.

CHEPAR - glad you are patient and paying attention to the weather - have a good dive, safe dive, when you get to it.

Great replies,folks!! Bravo!!
This thread should be kept where divers of all experience levels can take a look. Great suggestions, both global, practical, and the "nitty gritty" from Doc V.

Waterdogs,
I'm hard pressed to add anything, because the other folks have done such a great job, but here are a few more observations:
As a warm water diver who travels with non-divers, I frequently have been buddied with people of many different levels of experience, who I just met on the boat.
The best "newbies" were: honest about their experience level, would ask a few questions, were not out to teach the "latest and greatest" techniques (unless asked)- but were willing to share their new knowledge, and polite enough to "indulge the ramblings" of the other divers.
Come to think of it, that mentality would be an asset to divers of any experience level.

As for specifics:
Make sure you are comfortable with setting up your equipment-practice at home, if possible; try to familiarize yourself with the boats' routines (ask around-they do differ); and, as many have already said-have fun and enjoy the diving.
Occasionally, you may encounter a "grouchy old @#$%". In this situation, just try to get through things, and don't let him/her spoil your diving.
Perhaps most importantly: never feel you have to "show off"to be accepted-and never do anything dive related that you are uncomfortable about. The learning curve of experience should be, above all, safe.
It's a great sport, and you and the Mrs-to be will love it.
Good Luck,
Mike

All excellent reponses. It wouldn't hurt all of us to remember occasionally what it feels/felt like to be brand new at this stuff we love so much.

The only things I can add or stress is...

Anyone can call a dive for any reason. Listen to your inner voice, sometimes it's all you've got.

On boat dives take what you need but not everything you own!
Leave the big dive bag in your room, a small mesh bag is best.

Set your gear up as soon as you get on the boat. If you need help, ask for it and pay attention. One of the best ways we have to start judging the other divers around us is how confidently and easily they set up their gear. As other have mentioned, watch those around you...it may help you remember to put your fins and weight belt on!

I understand you not wanting to 'ruin' the dives of the more experienced divers but remember it's your dive too. Old, boastful divers can ruin a dive just as easily. It's the quiet, confident divers you'll want to watch and learn from.

And most important of all is to enjoy yourself. Some of us are lucky enough to be married to our best dive buddy. The trust you have in each other will carry over into the water and will only make your relationship that much more precious to you.

Hi Waterdogs,

This is my first post on this forum... Just ran across it for the first time today and registered.

I just got back from Ft. Lauderdale on Monday morning after completing a TDI Decompression diver course.

I thought I was an old hand at diving but having to deal with new gear and new techniques can really throw a monkey-wrench into your style.

My buddy, a 6 year master Padi & TDI instructor going for his deco instructor certification, wasn't doing any better than me either. ;-0 He just wasn't used to dealing with the extra regulators and deco bottles and such in his previous thousands of dives. He was previously cetified for deco diving but hadn't done it in quite some time.

Having lots of dive experiance can help in any situation that arises during a divetrip. Wether on the boat or in the water, we can ALWAYS learn a thing or two from those who have gone before.

Just keep those eyes and ears open and above all, ENJOY YOURSELF.

My personal diving motto is: "If your not relaxed and having fun, you're not doing it right!"

All the information for the new boat diver is really quite comprehensive. But if you really want to show that your level of training is adequate, always and I mean always arrive VERY EARLY to board the boat.

You will find that many boats and the hands that operate it are there at least two hours before departure. You should arrive early enough to sign, the the release, rent your equipment (if required) and start loading your stuff on the boat a minimum of one hour before departure. Every dive boat I know leaves on time!

This will now allow you to ask those ëmbrassing"question" before too many people are within earshot. Also, it allows you to observe the behavior and tactics of the experienced divers as they board and stowe their equipment.

I like to be there early so as to get a spot next to the exit point. I enjoy being the first one in the water. However, I would suggest that for your first boat dive, to select a spot toward the end of the bench. Once again, this allows you to observe all the antics of others and may aid you in making your first giant stride (or back roll) uneventful.

Listen very carefukky to the DM brief before the dive. All the information you will need to exit and enter the boat will be explained. The dive profile will also be diecussed or enforced. Do what they say and you will have the time of your life.

You will be pleasantly surprised that after your first boat trip/dive the crew will remember you and what you did. If you follow all the other suggestions and mine you have a great memory. Seriously, it will be fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom