Explanation of DIR Concepts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RDP:
Let me start by stating that I am not DIR, nor do I claim to have any magical scuba powers & wisdom. I have been looking in the DIR Fourm, and it's easy to get flamed there. That is why I am posting in this fourm.

Okay, why is it the DIR philosophy does not support a console or retractors?

Be gentle. :kopfab:

THis is the way I explained it to another diver interested in DIR (someone correct me if I'm way off base on this.)

We use our left side for backup (BC inflation, pressure guage, compass, etc..) and the right side for primary equipment (wrist mounted bottom timer, regulator etc..) Having a console on the left side would cause problems during ascents when you need to be monitoring your depth and dumping air from your wing. Now you have to play with a bulky console with the hand that should be used to dump your wing. With the depth guage/bottom timer on the right wrist, you only have one task for the left hand.
Retractors are an entaglement hazard and get twisted around hoses.
Again, anyone feel free to correct me if I am incorrect.
Hope this helps.
Robert

RDP:
Let me start by stating that I am not DIR, nor do I claim to have any magical scuba powers & wisdom. I have been looking in the DIR Fourm, and it's easy to get flamed there. That is why I am posting in this fourm.

Okay, why is it the DIR philosophy does not support a console or retractors?

Be gentle. :kopfab:

Here are a couple to consider:

If your buddy has a problem (say an OOA, or even general unease) and you need to control a safe, slow, controlled ascent. With depth timer on yo' wrist, its easy to reach over and monitor ascent while working your inflator (or his, if appropriate) and just glance at your wrist - as opposed to reaching back for back for brick on a rope and trying to hold that correctly while grappling your buddy.... you get the idea.

Another reason: most of the divers who I dive with that still use a console simply can't and don't monitor their depth accurately. I signal "lets go to from 65 to 55 and hold at 55 for a minute" and they find it very tough to maintain direction and depth as it requires reaching back and holding the console while diving... and honestly, most divers simply won't and don't do that. On any boat dive, look around and see how many people dive with the console in their hands... its like nil. This means most are winging it.

How often do you see a diver with their console in the same place? Its rare. Some clip to their shoulder D-ring, some to their cumberbun thing, some to a D-ring or clip off at the bottom hem of their BC, some across their chest, etc. Us DIR types keep all our stuff in the same place everytime. We don't all dive the same brands, or the same equipment, but we all configure it the same way. I can walk up to any DIR diver anywhere in the world and instanly know where there back up reg is, where their SPG is, where their depth gauge is, etc... When the spit hits the fan, I don't wanna play "find the gear" whether its a Console, Compass, SPG or Octo.

Like I said in another post - come dive wif us. We don't bite.

K

Mo2vation:
...come dive wif us. We don't bite.

K

Why? Because you don't have any "toof" any more?

:D

You guys have to unclip your SPG to read it? I don't... I just look down and over and can see it if I hold it out as far as the clip will let it go.

I have always done that... even when I was fat :)

Back to the original question....
As far as the boot/console, it traps salt and water and leads to the deterioration of the equipment.

Personally, I have NEVER been able to use a hose-mounted compass while underway. I always had to stop and get vertical to take a heading, grab a landmark, then return to swimming. I just couldn't get it into position while moving.

With the scooter, everything is easy. While underway, reach forward and tilt the face of the Vyper toward me, boom... depth and time. Move my left hand back along my right arm and grab my right elbow... look down, boom... heading.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom