Exploding Tank in Utila

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A machine tranlation of the entire LaPrensa article:
"Bay Islands, Honduras

A teenager died instantly after a tank for diving with oxygen in the Cays of Utila, department of Islas de la Bahía.

The young woman was identified as Keily Murillo Pineda (15 years old).

The incident resulted in a wounded person identified as Newton Diamond, who was airlifted to a health center.

Until now the reasons why the tank that was in a boat exploded are unknown."

The LaPrensa web site is infested with cookies and clickbait, btw. Be careful if you go there.

How to help

Newton Diamond requests the donation of A + blood and the collaboration of some foundation to place a prosthesis.

For any help, contact your sister Debby Diamond at the phone number 9594-2191.

The picture by trimixtoo is not the same tank as posted by slamfire. One has a j valve and one a k valve. What gives?

The picture by trimixtoo is not the same tank as posted by slamfire. One has a j valve and one a k valve. What gives?
I don't think it was meant to be the same tank, but rather an example of what fire does.

What is it that you see to make you think that? I couldn't make out the dates on the cylinder, nor could I see any evidence of overheating (not that I would know what to look for anyway). Thanks for your help.

Spoke with professionals investigating accident. Can’t say any more.

Even if it was 6351 the most common point of failure is cracking in the neck and threads, this one obviously didn't fail in the neck area.

If it has been heated for whatever reason, that could be the likely cause.

S.

As someone else pointed out, the valve looks quite new. This, of course, does not mean that the cylinder is the same age. It is very hard to tell the age of a cylinder by looking at it from the inside. Big chance it is a very old one, like the one that caused a divemaster in Sydney to lose his leg just over a year ago.

I'm metallurgically trained.

From the picture posted by slamfire. The black splotches would "appear" to be indicative of pitting/wormhole corrosion. From there it is likely the this would lead to a fatigue initiation point. The fatigue "crack" would then grow as the cylinder expands and contracts from filling before finally an overload failure takes place.

With this type of failure the actual culprit would be hard to find as the explosive overload would generally destroy the fatigue striations. However careful sectioning of the cylinder, mounting and polishing the sample would certainly show the extent of any mechanical corrosion or material loss from oxidation.

A good Eddy Current or Ultrasonic inspection would show any other surface or sub surface defect (cracks), although I show say these techniques and required equipment is way beyond the capabilities Eddy current inspection equipment and procedures used for annual inspections and the training of persons carrying out those inspections.

That said, (the caveat here is that it is corrosion on the picture) any basic inspection would have picked up that corrosion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom