Exposure ??mm for NC Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbb97fxdwg

Reaction score
Hey There SB's,
Wife and I are thinking going down Morehead City, NC to dive sometime in May. What kind of exposure(????mm) suits would you recommend?? We have cold(7mm farmerjohn) for up here in Pa and warm(3mmshorty) for our Bonaire trips but nothing in the middle. Thx.

Michael B.

I was just diving this past weekend w/ a 5mm and hood and I was comfy. Water temps were mid-60's. You could prob dive your 7mm and be fine. Definitely would not go w/ the shorty.

My brother just went diving out of Morehead this past weekend too and he said it was 70F - not sure where though (it was a fossil hunt so I suspect pretty far offshore). I'd guess he was wearing a 5mm.

Have fun.

As usual, depends on your personal tolerance for cold. If you're wearing a 3mm shorty in 82 deg water in Bonaire, I'd suggest your 7 mm - if its too warm on the 1st dive, ditch the jacket.

Just got home. Two dives yesterday, water temps between 66 and 68. Wore my 5/6/7 steamer with a 1mm hood. was fine in the water, got a little cool on the second dive, mostly because I sat out in the wind too much in between dive and got a little chilled.

Couple people on the boat where in 3mm one pieces with shorties overtop.

By Memorial Day a lot of people will be in 3mm.

Which sites did you dive & with whom? I didnt get to dive this weekend so Im jonesin for a fix. Even just reading about someone else's dive might help.

Back
Top Bottom