Exposure Protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the average diver in the springs, I would RECOMMEND a 5mm. with or without hood (a hood makes a BIG difference) if the diver wants to enjoy the full limit of the depth/gas dynamic.

Just remember, even though you feel "comfortable" in a thinner suit, your body's core temperature is being reduced at a much greater rate than it would be with a thicker suit.

This temperature loss does not go away just because you get out of the water. It is a time consuming process to rebuild the core temperature . . . don't let your skin temperature fool you.

The loss of body core temperature is most noticeable after the next dive because you have yet to bring the core temp back to its normal level where it was at the beginning of the first dive.

The choice is yours. You will be able to tell after your first dive if the suit you were wearing was sufficient. Make sure you note the details in your dive log for future reference.

A warm diver is a happy diver.

Safe dives . . . . . . . . .
. . . safer ascents !!!!!!!

the K

I'm with you on this... I dive in a 7mm, with a hood in the springs...

I checked that last two years and the coldest the gulf was in May was 70...but last year it started there, warmed up and then cooled back down to that number. As one is usually diving a bit deeper (well I am anyway), the 5 would work for that also.

Keep your MOD in mind if you are even thinking about hitting the deck though........

Oh Yeah !!!

the K

I CAN dive the springs in a 3mm, but I COULD dive them nekkid too, and I wouldn't recommend either.

If you're just doing a short 20 minute spring dive, then a 3mm with a hood is fine, but I'm pretty cold-tolerant, and I dive a 5mm, and usually take a 3mm hooded-vest, unless it's in August, and I just dug some ditches, or cut down a forest of trees.

Best Bet Springs: 5mm w/Hooded Vest
Best Bet Gulf: Skin or 3mm w/Hood

Why a hood in the Gulf? Jellyfish. You never can tell when they will show up, and some years, they don't even make an appearance, but it's nice to have a hood if they're around, and you can always use the thermal protection of a hood.

I would TRY to make a weekend trip to the Blue Heron Bridge in Boynton Beach, Florida. There's a thread over in the Conch Diver's Forum here on scubaboard. It's quite a haul, but it's a wonderful dive spot if you can get the tides right. Besides, then you'll be close enough to do a 3-tank charter out of Lauderdale or Pompano Beach :eyebrow:

In Pensacola, I would be sure to hit the Oriskany, and try to hit the USS Massachusetts. You may not get a ride out to the Mass. It's very close to shore, but it's very tide and current dependent, so a charter may not be willing to drop you there.

And remember, it's the temp at the bottom upon which you need to base your choice of thermal protection.

I've often times dived the Gulf when the surface temp was 84/86 degrees, but down on the wreck at 100 feet, it was 70 degrees.

the K

Thanks for all the great advice, looks like I will be bringing the 6.5mm suit and my hood as well in case I do get to make it up to some springs dives. I am planning at the least do the Oriskany and get my rescue course and some shore dives and a couple times out to the springs. If I am not working on the weekend I am wanting to be diving. I will post some more when the time gets closer and maybe try to get some dives together and meet some people while I am there if anyone is interested.

Make sure you give us a follow up post so we'll know how your dives went.

the K

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom